Thread: File system is read only in BT3 on a USB stick

Default File system is read only in BT3 on a USB stick

Hi,

I've searched the forums and cannot seem to get an answer which I understand.

Basically I have BT3 on an USB stick.

The problem I'm having is saving config files once they have been edited.
    An example is I'm trying to edit the "etter.conf" file (using nano or vi) when I try and save it I get the error "filesystem is read only", so I'm presuming I can't write anything to my USB sick for some reason.

Another thing is I've created a file and put it on the desktop. When I reboot the file is gone.

BT3 was transferred onto the stick by extracting the two directories out of the iso image. I then went into the "boot" directory and ran the command "./bootinst.sh" which installed BT3 on my stick with no errors.

Could someone be kind enough and point me in the right direction where I can get info or if you have the time please explain my errors.

Cheers,

Blown CPU

Just burned his ISO

unless you created a separate partition on the usb stick it will not save changes as far as i know. the system treats it as a live cd where changes only saved until you restart. Search around for usb persistent changes and you will find some steps on how to configure it to allow you to save changes between reboots.

i used the following link to set up my usb. I can not post full links yett so you will need to cut and paste it.

infosecramblings.com/backtrack/backtrack-3-usb-persistent-nessus-ff3-nmap/

Default maybe try

not sure about this not really enough info

as asked by packetjones is changes partition made and syslinux.cfg edited

other ideas
    is rw listed in syslinux.conf
    is rw listed in fstab
    do you think chmod command might be able to help

these were the best clues i was given when i had a similar problem.
    "what exactly was our net profit on the wobbly headed doll caper"

Compiz'd BT3 / Slax / Vista Ultimate / XP / Asus A7Jc, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, 1.5gb RAM, dual core Intel T2400 @ 1.83GHz, 17" WXGA+

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlownCPU View Post
    Hi,
    I've searched the forums and cannot seem to get an answer which I understand.
    slow down and take your time. There are several tutorials here on getting a usb stick w/ bt3 and 4 just adapt it to your needs. If you are going to use bt3 then look at the tutorial by balding_parrot on usb persistant changes.
    Look at the two links in the 1st post here one is a tutorial and the other a vidoe

I then went into the "boot" directory and ran the command "./bootinst.sh" which installed BT3 on my stick with no errors.
    Just for clarification this command does not install anything onto your usb stick, it only makes it bootable.

Hit back if you get stuck
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.