Thread: changes to xorg.conf not saving on usb?

Just burned his ISO

Default changes to xorg.conf not saving on usb?

I am currently working to get compiz working on my usb drive. When i select the default compiz option in the boot menu it does not work. There are lines all over the screen. I am currently working with the guys over at the compiz forum to find out what the issue is.

The problem that i am having is with saving the changes that i am making to the xorg.conf file. I have a usb drive with persistent changes but when i add/ change things and save, when i reboot they are gone. the guys at compiz said they have no idea as to why changes do not save after i reboot and suggested i ask that question here.

If anyone can shed some light on what i am doing wrong i would appreciate it.

thanks

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Can you provide some more info on your setup.
    Did you edit the syslinux.cfg for saving changes?
    Are you using bt3 or 4 or what?
    What tutorial did you use to make your "stick"
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

I apologize that i did not have all of the details in my first post. I am running BT3 on a 4GB stick. I have listed the steps that i followed below to set it up. I have installed additional applications like nessus/nmap, changed my desktop and theme and all of these changes are saved. I am also able to create text files and such and they are saved as well.

Here are the steps that i followed:

infosecramblings.com/backtrack/backtrack-3-usb-persistent-nessus-ff3-nmap/

Once we have a formatted second partition, mount it and create a changes directory in the root of the file system.

1. open a terminal windows
    2. mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2
    3. cd /mnt/sda2
    4. mkdir changes

Next we need to make some changes to how the system boots. Execute the following:

1. cd /boot/syslinux
    2. chmod +Xx lilo
    3. chmod +Xx syslinux

Open syslinux.cfg with your favorite editor and make the following change. Note: I copied the boot definition I wanted to change and created a new entry so I would have a fall back option if something became broken. Again, I booted to KDE.

1. Find the line “LABEL xconf1″.
    2. Copy that line and next 3 and paste them right below the existing line.
    3. Change the “LABEL xconf1″ to something you want like “LABEL xconf1-persist” and description to something like “MENU LABEL KDE with persistent changes”
    4. Change the line that begins with APPEND in your copied section by adding “changes=/dev/sdx2″ immediately after “root=/dev/ram0 rw” where the x is the drive appropriate for your system. In my case it looks like this, “….root=/dev/ram0 rw changes=/dev/sda2….”
    5. Save your changes and exit the editor.

That should do it. Reboot and select the option you setup configured. To test it, create a file and reboot again. If your file is still there, everything is golden.

thanks again for the assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by packetjones View Post
    and all of these changes are saved. I am also able to create text files and such and they are saved as well.

The problem that i am having is with saving the changes that i am making to the xorg.conf file.

Ohh ok I get it, you are just having problems with the xorg.conf then.

If so then how are you editing it?
    the easiest way would probably be with nano
    cd to the directory then use nano to edit the file.
    use crtl +x to save it and exit out.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

I have not tried nano. I have used kedit and kwrite. I will try nano when I get home. Should it make a difference if it is a command line editor instead of what I have used. Just curious.
    Thanks again.

I have not tried nano. I have used kedit and kwrite. I will try nano when I get home. Should it make a difference if it is a command line editor instead of what I have used. Just curious.
    Thanks again.
    It can but it shouldn't.
    Plus it is easy to use.
    If you want you can look up vi or emacs.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

i have went in and edited the xorg.conf with nano and added the following information:

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "true"
    EndSection

I saved the informaiton and restarted X and it was still there. I then rebooted and xorg.conf reverted back to what it was before i added the changes. I am not sure what i am doing wrong with this. i am not sure if this is any help at all but there are a few xorg files in the X11 directory.

xorg.conf xorg.conf-fbdev xorg.conf-vesa xorg.conf~

If needed i can reformat the usb drive and start over if i have to. It is not a very long process and can be done in a half hour. Considering that all other changes are saving i think that i have set up the persistent changes option correctly. I am at a loss as to what could be the issue.

Default i did this to get compiz working, among other things

i have went in and edited the xorg.conf with nano and added the following information:

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "true"
    EndSection

I saved the informaiton and restarted X and it was still there. I then rebooted and xorg.conf reverted back to what it was before i added the changes. I am not sure what i am doing wrong with this. i am not sure if this is any help at all but there are a few xorg files in the X11 directory.

xorg.conf xorg.conf-fbdev xorg.conf-vesa xorg.conf~

If needed i can reformat the usb drive and start over if i have to. It is not a very long process and can be done in a half hour. Considering that all other changes are saving i think that i have set up the persistent changes option correctly. I am at a loss as to what could be the issue.
    There is an auto execute command in syslinux.cfg something like:
    AUTOEXEC= xorg:kdm
    delete the xorg or xconf or whatever it is so that it doesnt rewrite the xorg.conf every boot, leave kdm there.

This helped me, hope it helps you.
    "what exactly was our net profit on the wobbly headed doll caper"

Compiz'd BT3 / Slax / Vista Ultimate / XP / Asus A7Jc, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, 1.5gb RAM, dual core Intel T2400 @ 1.83GHz, 17" WXGA+

Just burned his ISO

That worked. I am now able to save the changes that i have made to the xorg.conf. I appreciate the help.