Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Wireless tools missing in backtrack 3

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default Wireless tools missing in backtrack 3

    hello,

    I recently burned a copy of backtrack 3 final onto CD for use on my G4 powermac via Virtual PC.

    After booting into xwindows, I wasn't able to locate the wireless tools submenu (with kismet, etc.). Are the wireless tools not included with that release?

    Would obtaining a copy of backtrack 4 offer me the wireless tools?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Moderator theprez98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phaedarus View Post
    hello,

    I recently burned a copy of backtrack 3 final onto CD for use on my G4 powermac via Virtual PC.

    After booting into xwindows, I wasn't able to locate the wireless tools submenu (with kismet, etc.). Are the wireless tools not included with that release?

    Would obtaining a copy of backtrack 4 offer me the wireless tools?

    Thanks.
    All the tools are included. Use the command line.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

  3. #3
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I followed the video tutorials that had konsole opened. The tools were not at the locations shown at the prompt. If I try an ls command at the konsole, no directories except for /desktop appears so there is nowhere for me to navigate to.

    Of course, I don't use unix regularly so there must be other things involved but the tools do not appear to be in the same place and as shown in the tutorials and there's no reason I can fathom why they would be relocated elsewhere.

  4. #4
    Moderator theprez98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phaedarus View Post
    I followed the video tutorials that had konsole opened. The tools were not at the locations shown at the prompt. If I try an ls command at the konsole, no directories except for /desktop appears so there is nowhere for me to navigate to.

    Of course, I don't use unix regularly so there must be other things involved but the tools do not appear to be in the same place and as shown in the tutorials and there's no reason I can fathom why they would be relocated elsewhere.
    Code:
    updatedb
    locate <toolname>
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phaedarus View Post
    I followed the video tutorials that had konsole opened. The tools were not at the locations shown at the prompt. If I try an ls command at the konsole, no directories except for /desktop appears so there is nowhere for me to navigate to.

    Of course, I don't use unix regularly so there must be other things involved but the tools do not appear to be in the same place and as shown in the tutorials and there's no reason I can fathom why they would be relocated elsewhere.
    If you can't find the tools how in the world do you expect to use them?
    Might wanna start reading some basics and stop watching videos.

    As per the first post ( at this rate it won't be long for it pops up)
    Kismet sources are located in
    Code:
    bt~# /usr/local/etc/kismet.conf
    Good luck
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

  6. #6
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    If you can't find the tools how in the world do you expect to use them?
    Through the cascading menus provided by the GUI as expected by every beginner on the initial try?

    I'll try kismet through the path you provided in conjunction with the locate command.

    Thanks.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phaedarus View Post
    Through the cascading menus provided by the GUI as expected by every beginner on the initial try?
    I'll try kismet through the path you provided in conjunction with the locate command.
    Thanks.
    The question is how will you use them not how will you find them.

    And the bit on kismet is the configuration file.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

  8. #8
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    The question is how will you use them not how will you find them.

    And the bit on kismet is the configuration file.
    The video tutorial was fairly comprehensive on its use (at least for what I was aiming for).

    I just had to search for the app, launch it and then the tutorial was able to get me home from there

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    159

    Default

    If you are truly interested in these tools, don't use the GUI. It will only hamper your learning.

    If you are only interested in skript kiddie techniques, well, then use the GUI.

    The reason for this is that the command line is where *nix is most powerful. And, as you move more into the *nix world you will find many systems that don't have X installed at all, but you must use the same tools. Also, whenever a new tool comes out, it invariably comes out for the command line long before it comes out for the GUI.

    I realize that it is annoying to have *nix people say you should use the CLI, but if you really want to "get it" the CLI is the place to be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •