Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: apt-get update screwes up BT4

Sorry that I missed that. It just dawned on me when I recalled the steps I took this morning. I wanted to try out the how to start the X server automatically with a fresh install and that way I had kdm installed already.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

i just installed kdm and redid the allowroot and did apt-get update upgrade now konsole and konqorer wont open same as last time i belive when i reboot either it wont let me log in or it will have these problems still, did i do something wrong? am i still in kde? it does look different so i think im in kdm, any help would be appriciated. ill reboot now and post my results.

DRK

Edit: I think i understand why it didnt work but when I did reboot at first it would do the same thing log in then do nothing but I changed session type and now everything works i agree its not as pretty but it works lol i know this is all common knowledge but I thought I would post it just so others more noobish than me can do it themselves. Im still up for testing if anyone wants me to. Thanx to everyone

DRK

Quote Originally Posted by dragracekid View Post
    i just installed kdm and redid the allowroot and did apt-get update upgrade now konsole and konqorer wont open same as last time i belive when i reboot either it wont let me log in or it will have these problems still, did i do something wrong? am i still in kde? it does look different so i think im in kdm, any help would be appriciated. ill reboot now and post my results.

DRK
    u cant be "in" kdm. kdm is the login manager thing. if you have the k menu and stuff on the bottom then you are in kde. if not, in the login manager you can select to log into kde through one of the menus there.
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectZero View Post
    if not, in the login manager you can select to log into kde through one of the menus there.
    The menu is called sessions and you can choose the window manager you want to use in there.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectZero View Post
    u cant be "in" kdm. kdm is the login manager thing. if you have the k menu and stuff on the bottom then you are in kde. if not, in the login manager you can select to log into kde through one of the menus there.
    yeah after i looked at it i realized how stupid i sounded thanx but i understand it a little better now thanx again

DRK

If it helps, I have just done an apt-get upgrade, and then said no, but the list of items for upgrade was as follows:

consolekit cryptsetup dpkg dpkg-dev firefox firefox-3.0 firefox-3.0-branding
    freetds-common freetds-dev git-core hal-info kamera-kde3 kappfinder-kde3
    kate-kde3 kcontrol-kde3 kdebase-data-kde3 kdebase-kde3 kdebase-kde3-bin
    kdebase-kio-plugins-kde3 kdebase-runtime-data-common-kde3 kdelibs-data-kde3
    kdelibs4c2a-kde3 kdemultimedia-kio-plugins-kde3 kdepasswd-kde3 kdeprint-kde3
    kdesktop-kde3 kfind-kde3 kghostview-kde3 khelpcenter-kde3 kicker-kde3
    klaptopdaemon-kde3 klipper-kde3 kmenuedit-kde3 konqueror-kde3
    konqueror-nsplugins-kde3 konsole-kde3 kpager-kde3 kpdf-kde3
    kpersonalizer-kde3 kregexpeditor-kde3 ksmserver-kde3 ksnapshot-kde3
    ksplash-kde3 ksysguard-kde3 ksysguardd-kde3 ktip-kde3 kwin-kde3
    libapache2-mod-php5 libarts1c2a-kde3 libartsc0-kde3 libc6 libc6-dev
    libc6-i686 libck-connector0 libct4 libcups2 libcupsimage2 libkcddb1-kde3
    libkonq4-kde3 libpam-ck-connector libpq5 libsqlite3-0 libsqlite3-dev
    libsybdb5 php5 php5-cli php5-common php5-pgsql postgresql-8.3
    postgresql-client-8.3 sqlite3 sudo tzdata xulrunner-1.9

apt-get update does not break my install, and is all I have run so far (ran it about 4 times, just to make sure)

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by digitalfriction View Post
    apt-get update does not break my install, and is all I have run so far (ran it about 4 times, just to make sure)
    i'm looking through the packages now to find which ones are causing issues and see what i can come up with for a fix.

apt-get update will not break anything, all it does is update the apt cache with the new information about packages that are available. its the apt-get upgrade that actually installs (upgrades) the packages and causes the problem.

once i've read through the package descriptions i'll start to install the packages one by one and diff / test the system.

Just burned his ISO

Default quick (partial) fix

i don't have a great detailed explanation (yet) but if you have run into this problem and would like a quick fix you can do this when you boot to the console..

Code:
    root@bt:~# cd /etc/alternatives/
    root@bt:/etc/alternatives# mv x-session-manager x-session-manager-broke
    root@bt:/etc/alternatives# ln -s /opt/kde3/bin/startkde x-session-manager
    root@bt:/etc/alternatives# startx
    kde doesn't come up any more after you apt-get upgrade because kde is moved from /usr/kde3/... to /opt/kde3/...

and...

the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/50x11-common_determine-startup script checks if /usr/bin/x-session-manager is executable, x-session-manager is a symlink to /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager which was a symlink to /usr/kde3/bin/startkde. since the link is broke the check returns false and the script decides to startup x-window-manager instead.

updating the symlink at least gets startx back into kde, there are still style issues however... i'll post more if i find anything useful.

just wanted to give an update as to my condition, i tried another format and another upgrade and still same result. thanks for the quick fix steve_baker
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Just burned his ISO

Thanks Steve baker, i also noted the move of the KDE folder from /usr to /opt but didn't knew where to look to correct the pointer .

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast