Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: apt-get update screwes up BT4

Just burned his ISO

Just for the info, (but unfortunately without solution)
    I also had the problem after an apt-get dist-upgrade ... startx refused to start kde.

I tried to dig a little bit, found a couple of strange things like that the newly installed kde3 main folder was no longer in /usr directory but in the /opt .. and that certainly some hard coded links were now no longer working.

Running out of time, i simply restarted with an empty "changes" directory --> lesson learned : make a frequent backup of your change directory so that you can easily restore a stable solution. (maybee a small script at log-out).

Anyway, i hope someone will find the issue so that a full automatic update is possible.

I upgraded last night around midnight with the same result my backup is stable so i just redid it but mabe it has been fixed by now thanx for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by ulrick13 View Post
    Just for the info, (but unfortunately without solution)
    I also had the problem after an apt-get dist-upgrade ... startx refused to start kde.

I tried to dig a little bit, found a couple of strange things like that the newly installed kde3 main folder was no longer in /usr directory but in the /opt .. and that certainly some hard coded links were now no longer working.

Running out of time, i simply restarted with an empty "changes" directory --> lesson learned : make a frequent backup of your change directory so that you can easily restore a stable solution. (maybee a small script at log-out).

Anyway, i hope someone will find the issue so that a full automatic update is possible.

Just burned his ISO

i'll take a look at this in the morning and post what i find

Just took a fresh VMWare BT4 version and did a apt-get update & apt-get upgrade.

No issues here so far.

Maybe it is already fixed in the repos. Does anyone still have an image floating around with the issue and could try to do an update/upgrade again?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

i do, but i's 3:30 AM here and i should get to bed :P

Hey an apt-get update & apt-get upgrade doesn't take long
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Just took a fresh VMWare BT4 version and did a apt-get update & apt-get upgrade.

No issues here so far.

Maybe it is already fixed in the repos. Does anyone still have an image floating around with the issue and could try to do an update/upgrade again?
    did an upgrade with synaptic some minutes ago and broke KDE...apt-get update && upgrade doesn't give any new packages at the moment

Does anyone still have an image floating around with the issue and could try to do an update/upgrade again?
    no it's not fixed, I did it some minutes ago and broke up KDE..

Just burned his ISO

Hi,

I just tried again (update then upgrade) and same result for me as before = broken startx
    During the upgrade i had plenty of message regarding dpkg complaining that he was not able to remove some directory because not empty.

The only things i have in my version compared to the fresh install is a bit of KDE customisation (background, other theme) and a few non related things installed such as Nessus, truecrypt, thcrut, etc.

BUT, do we need upgrade? think about it, at the moment, this update will add to your change directory at least 100mb and it size will increase in the future. You will still have the old version of the softs in the first partition and each time you are going to update the size of the second will increase.
    --> untill there is an "easy" way to "merge" the change directory with the lzm of the first partition, in my opinion, upgrade should not used, or only for the packages that are know to be deficient.

Just my 2 cents.

Something just came to my mind, if you have the issue, try installing kdm.

Might work, might not, but with the BT4 image I used today I installed kdm and then did the apt-get update and upgrade.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Something just came to my mind, if you have the issue, try installing kdm.

Might work, might not, but with the BT4 image I used today I installed kdm and then did the apt-get update and upgrade.
    yea thats wht i suggested in my earlier post. kdm works but you have to edit /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc and look for somehting that says AllowRootLogin=false and change it to true. then you can log in as root. as well as the kde theme is all messed up if you do login from kdm. it just doesnt look as pretty but it does the trick.
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast