Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Able to connect to my AP and establish connection to my WLAN but cant go out

Just burned his ISO

How do I check to see that the router is passing Port 53 UDP?

Quote Originally Posted by Johndoe1893 View Post
    "If it doesn't resolve the name, but you can ping the IP, then routing is OK, but DNS is broken". This is where i am at, I can ping the outside yahoo ip address 206.190.60.37 but I cannot ping the DNS name.
    So is Port 53 UDP open?
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    So is Port 53 UDP open?
    how would I check that would I look for it under my router settings? or is it on the local machine?

how would I check that would I look for it under my router settings? or is it on the local machine?
    Firewall. You shouldn't have one on the BT machine, but you'll have a better idea than I as to whether there is one included with you router, or it's a separate device.

Are there other machines on this network? Is their DNS functioning properly? If so, you should make sure their setting match the BT machine.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

i cannot for some reason access /etc/resolv.conf directory and file it keeps telling me permission denied. So I captured the DNS packets and the destination is not my 192.168.2.1 gateway but another ip address class c address altogether which is 192.168.1.254. However when I capture packets through windows using wireshark the dns requests get sent to my gateway which is in the 192.168.2.1. Okay so now i am convinced its the wrong DNS. But like I said i cant access /etc/resolv.conf to change it. Is their perhaps another way to change the dns?
    Well how about checking the file, see if it exists and so on.

If not, create it.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Well how about checking the file, see if it exists and so on.

If not, create it.
    okay so when i got to the /etc sub directory and run the resolv.conf file this happens

The program resolvconf is currently not installed.

then I try to install it and i get this

apt-get install resolvconf

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update
    failed failed some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or some old ones used instead you may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Firewall. You shouldn't have one on the BT machine, but you'll have a better idea than I as to whether there is one included with you router, or it's a separate device.

Are there other machines on this network? Is their DNS functioning properly? If so, you should make sure their setting match the BT machine.

haven't checked my routers firewall. The other machines on my network are running fine. I am running bt4 on a virtual box and when i power the virtual machine I run DNS fine and are able to get online

okay so when i got to the /etc sub directory and run the resolv.conf file this happens

The program resolvconf is currently not installed.

then I try to install it and i get this

apt-get install resolvconf

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update
    failed failed some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or some old ones used instead you may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
    Ok, start and learn the basics. Don't use BT, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Resolv conf is no command at all. If the guys here wouldn't have spoonfed you with all the information you would still have no connection at all.
    And what is it good for? Nothing to be honest. If you don't learn why and how stuff is working and just typing what people tell you, you will be majorly screwed.

Also don't double post
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Ok, start and learn the basics. Don't use BT, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Resolv conf is no command at all. If the guys here wouldn't have spoonfed you with all the information you would still have no connection at all.
    And what is it good for? Nothing to be honest. If you don't learn why and how stuff is working and just typing what people tell you, you will be majorly screwed.

Also don't double post
    umm I never said it was a command i mistook the configuration file resolv.conf from the resolvconf program. And if you actually bothered to read the thread I connected to my network without anyone "spoon feeding me information".In fact this I am still at the same point that i was when i first posted on this message board. I've used linux before and i know more about networking then you will ever hope too. CCNA certified+JUNO certified so dont assume that I don't know how and why stuff works.

umm I never said it was a command i mistook the configuration file resolv.conf from the resolvconf program. And if you actually bothered to read the thread I connected to my network without anyone "spoon feeding me information".In fact this I am still at the same point that i was when i first posted on this message board. I've used linux before and i know more about networking then you will ever hope too. CCNA certified+JUNO certified so dont assume that I don't know how and why stuff works.
    No you never said it was a command?

Let me see:

Quote Originally Posted by Johndoe1893
    i cannot for some reason access /etc/resolv.conf directory and file it keeps telling me permission denied.
    Well it only says permission denied if you try to run it.
    Then it is no directory.
    And there is no program like resolvconf.

Well if you know so much about networks and used linux before, you should be able to figure it out.

A simple ls -la would show you that it is a file and if you issue the file command you could see what type of file it is.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

No you never said it was a command?

Let me see:

Well it only says permission denied if you try to run it.
    Then it is no directory.
    And there is no program like resolvconf.

Well if you know so much about networks and used linux before, you should be able to figure it out.

A simple ls -la would show you that it is a file and if you issue the file command you could see what type of file it is.

I know and I did find the file and edited it cat > resolv.conf there is a separate resolvconf program that keeps track of system information about the currently available nameservers. But i guess you knew that right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast