Thread: Able to connect to my AP and establish connection to my WLAN but cant go out

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Able to connect to my AP and establish connection to my WLAN but cant go out

So i was able to establish a connection to my LAN using all CLI commands(networkmanager does not start for some reason) I used ifconfig wlan0 up to bring my wireless interface up. Then I manually scan local access points using iwlist and am able to find my access point. I then manually connect to it using iwconfig to configure the essid, key, and Access point mac address. I connect to it and then assign a static Ip address for my computer and gateway(DHCP command does not work for me).Then I am able to ping local hosts on my network and vice versa also i can ping the router. However although i can send out DNS requests and basic traffic that my gateway sends out for local users, I am still unable to leave my LAN and access the net. I cannot send any tcp or udp packets or anything like that. Can someone help me with this issue? thank you very much in advance

Did you make sure to edit your /etc/resolv.conf?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by Johndoe1893 View Post
    So i was able to establish a connection to my LAN using all CLI commands(networkmanager does not start for some reason) ...
    sorry, this might be a little off topic but i think i have a fix for your network manager not working
    did you try the "/etc/init.d/NetworkManager start" command?
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

I know you say you set the gateway, but just double check its in place (ip route show), might explain why you can get traffic over the wireless (route in place) but not internet (default route not inplace).

I agree with KMDave first thing to do, but just trying to think of a second thing to try in case.
    wtf?

When configuring manually, you have the set your default gateway and dns server.

default gateway example:
    Code:
    route add default gw ***.***.***.***
    The output from
    Code:
    route -n
    should look something like this
    Code:
    Kernel IP routing table

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0       U       1      0        0    eth0
    0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1         0.0.0.0            UG      0      0        0    eth0
    The last line is the important one, it indicates the default gateway (make sure you can ping your gateway before continuing)

dns example, when editing /etc/resolv.conf should contain at least this. (make sure you can ping your dns address)
    Code:
    nameserver ***.***.***.***
    Not all home routers do dns masking, so your nameserver may not be the same as your gateway. If you are unsure of your isp's dns servers addresses, you can use opendns
    Code:
    nameserver 208.67.222.222
    nameserver 208.67.220.220

Just burned his ISO

yes I did set my default gw and was able to ping it and ping other clients on my network. However i cannot even get into /etc/init.d/NetworkManager. Everytime I start it nothing happens. But I think that my problem is the DNS I tried editing /etc/resolv.conf but i cannot access that file and it keeps saying permission denied. When I trace my packets through wireshark I see that i am sending out DNS. Also not sure if this might help but when i traced my host address with nmap it said that I had all my ports closed

Well have you? lol

I presume this is backtrack, which is slax? I dont have it to hand but do you edit resolv of ifcfg-eth0 for slax dns?

PS you make it sound like sending out DNS is a bad thing? What dest address does the DNS packet have? the address of your router?
    wtf?