Thread: Problem to recognize an Alfa 500mv at boot time

Default Problem to recognize an Alfa 500mv at boot time

hi to all, ihave installed drivers for ALFA 500mw as provided in aircrack site.
    all works well but if i boot backtrack with ALFA plugged in it doesn't recognise it, so to make wlan appear in iwconfig i have to unplug and re-plug or to plug ALFA after booted.

Any idea to fix this? not so bad bat frustating...

Quote Originally Posted by HaVaNa7 View Post
    hi to all, ihave installed drivers for ALFA 500mw as provided in aircrack site.
    all works well but if i boot backtrack with ALFA plugged in it doesn't recognise it, so to make wlan appear in iwconfig i have to unplug and re-plug or to plug ALFA after booted.

Any idea to fix this? not so bad bat frustating...
    which version of backtrack are you running? also, is it an hd install, vmware or usb iso?

i just use the drivers supplied in both bt3 final and bt4 beta, and my alfa r8187 works perfectly (most of the time ). was there some reason you needed to manually install a driver to get the alfa working properly? you (in a perfect world) shouldn't have to.

something sounds odd, but you should probably provide more info.

yes, i know that it shoul work in bt3 default infact if i boot from livecd it works perfectly without doing anything.
    But i have an HD install of BT3 whit an updated kernel 2.6.28
    and with default drivers it cannot goes in highpower mode and the strenght signal is a pain.

There has been threads on aircrack-ng about awus036h with high power mode enabled.. put it simply, having high powered makes no difference with injection.

If signal strength is a pain, invest in either:
    - a wireless amplifier
    - a directional antenna

or just get closer to the AP/router (within 10 metres should be ideal).

thnx but with the driver that i installed the signal is very good, the only problem is recognise at boot time.