Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: BackTrack 4 Installer

If you are getting stuck maybe I can help you out.

In which language are you writing it?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

im actually using a program to make it. its called Kommander. its kinda like visual basic for windows. and is this the kind of install you were talking about:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=17830

i have never worked with encryption but if i understood you correctly, that should be it.
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Yup, that should do the trick. I think there is also one for BT4 already in the Howto section.

This is the thread by _arc_
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Yup, that should do the trick. I think there is also one for BT4 already in the Howto section.

thanks for the link but sorry to say this will probably be one of the later updates as it looks kinda complicated and knowing me, i'll screw it up atleast 10 times before i even get the basics down :P but i will throw it in there for sure
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Sounds good. I might check into the Kommander too.
    If you want I could try to help you with the encryption stuff.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Great Work man....

As to sugestions...
    Pesistent Changes on USB would be GREATTTT

Just burned his ISO

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KMDave View Post

thanks for the link but sorry to say this will probably be one of the later updates as it looks kinda complicated and knowing me, i'll screw it up atleast 10 times before i even get the basics down :P but i will throw it in there for sure
    Along with KMDave, I would be happy to help you to integrate encryption into your project.
    PM me if you are interested.

Just burned his ISO

The prorgam works flawlessly!!!The method is very very nice and easy, in about 1 hour i were with a BT4 & Windows.Much respect for SuspectZero, with his irc support, very nice and polite guy!! Here is a little noobie guide made by another noob.

1.Mount the CD
    2.Once you partitioned successfully ur drive, make a reboot and connect to internet.
    3.Download the litle program and In shell konsole write apt-get install kommander.
    4.After you install kommander, do right button to the little program, open with-> Kommander.
    5.Simple interface appears, choose the partitions u made for BT4 and swap, choose REAL install not LIVE, make a mark on the Fix GBG. and ur ready to start.
    6. After copy finish, all u have to do is configure the Lilo boot Loader.

I think this is the most complicated part, there are lots of topics but here's a step by step what to do:

1.Again open shell kommand and write chroot /mnt/bt/ /bin/bash and then nano /etc/lilo.conf.
    2.I have a Windows Xp, Vista and BT4.Dual or triple it doesnt, matter, for triple u need the windows loader works fine, then after u conf lilo, when u choose Windows, the windows loader appears.So my lilo looks like that, u can paste it there, and make very light changes.
    Code:
    lba32
    boot=/dev/sda             - or /dev/hda or whatever is the letter after dev.
    root=/dev/sda9            -Here u choose the partition u copied BT4.
    prompt
    timeout=50
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
            label=BT4
            read-only
            initrd=/boot/splash.initrd
            append=quiet

other=/dev/sda1           -Here u choose the partition where ur Windows is installed.To be sure, open Konqueror and go /mnt/ directory and check which is urs.
    label="Windows"
    table=/dev/sda           - or /dev/hda or etc..
    After u do this, save the written with ctrl + O, then exit.for write the changes to system write in kommand lilo -v. then reboot and pray

thanks for the great feedback guys. im glad people like this tool and its working well for everyone. as well as, thanks venelino for sharing your lilo.conf and thanks for the offer of support KMDave and _arc_. as of now im just getting live and real working as fast and perfectly as i can but when i do start the encrypted install i will definatly get in contact with you guys if i cant figure it out myself. thanks again guys, and keep the feature requests coming. id love to throw them in there

edit: just as an update, real install is working flawlessly and the beautiful gui is done on V2 of the installer.

Just burned his ISO

im having a problem following your install guide. i am not the best when it comes to linux but i am trying to learn so have some patience with me. i have installed kubuntu on my laptop and it worked fine so i reformated my hdd and now i have two partitions sda1 is my swap and sda2 is formated ext3. i used the installed and it copied evrything to sda2 and says it finished installing then i try to configure my lilo to make sure it is good. it appears to be good if i compare it to the guide a couple posts above mine. when i try to restart and boot from the drive i installed to it shows L 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07, it only shows the L once at the top of the screen the repeats the 07 halfway down the screen and doesnt show anything else. the only instruction i didnt follow is the chroot command cause i couldnt get it to work the way it is typed out in the guide. any ideas? also when i restart and type lilo in the kommand prompt it tells me warning the boot sector and map file are on diffrent disks. if you could help me it would be greatly apreciated.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast