Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BackTrack 4 Installer

Hybrid View

Default BackTrack 4 Installer

hey guys. here is an application thing i found on the forums and edited it to install bt4. credit goes to the creator of this script who can be found at http://strcpy.persiangig.com . hdd real install works perfectly. LIVE INSTALL IS UNTESTED. to use the script there are a couple of steps you need to do before hand.

1.) partition your drive to your liking
    2.) connect to the internet on the live cd
    3.) apt-get update
    4.) apt-get install kommander
    5.) download the application:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=666254

for latest beta versions check here: (current beta is v2.5)
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/bt4installer/

please post which version you are using when asking for help and please post the results if you use a beta version.

6.) right click the file > open with > kommander executor

simple? you bet your bippy
    questions? concerns? issues? feel free to post them. if you can test the untested stuff please let me know if it works or not.

edit1: turns out this is the installer script for bt2. my mistake. credit goes to the maker of that script
    edit2: GPG ERROR works
    edit3: made a mistake in the liloconfig portion. fixed it and uploaded new version. thanks to manitou for finding the error.
    edit4: fixed link
    please post which version you are using when asking for help and please post the results if you use a beta version. IF IT SUCCESSFULLY WORKED FOR YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW BY POSTING HERE!
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

For those who trust that installer, you can go on. Personally, i dont trust that code. Seems backdoored unless someone has time and opens the last several lines of hashed code

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chuksjonia View Post
    For those who trust that installer, you can go on. Personally, i dont trust that code. Seems backdoored unless someone has time and opens the last several lines of hashed code
    Which is why the dev's have produced official guides on how to do it.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by chuksjonia View Post
    i find this post insulting as i have no intention to create a backdoor. if you dont trust the script, as archangel.amael said, use the official guide, dont downplay my stuff. if the mods found this post to be un-necessary, feel free to delete it. that comment just ticked me off.
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

I don't want to take sides here, but could someone who knows what they are doing take a look and check this installer out, and confirm if safe or not?

May be dev's will include the GUI installer in Upcoming final release & that is all I can say that we can keep patience until it comes,because its not like that,that without Installer we can't install.as numerous tutorials are there to deal with command line installation.so have patience

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectZero View Post
    i find this post insulting as i have no intention to create a backdoor. if you dont trust the script, as archangel.amael said, use the official guide, dont downplay my stuff. if the mods found this post to be un-necessary, feel free to delete it. that comment just ticked me off.
    It's not so much that someone is trying to "downplay your stuff" but the problem is that you came out of now-where with some code that is hosted somewhere else and told people they can use it.
    Now the thing/s you will have to remember is/are that:
    1. you are on a security distro forum that happens to have a large number of well respected members of the security community.
    2. Those members by nature are security conscience.
    3. Most people may not have heard of you and or your work.
    4. There is a bit at the end of your code that is not human readable in its current state. As such this may frighten people away from it.
    Now as for what it is I did not take the time to figure it out, nor do I care to. But if you are willing and or able then maybe this may help you out.

My only question is why is there a call near the end to retrieve with wget the gpg key from pearson computing I believe it was?
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    My only question is why is there a call near the end to retrieve with wget the gpg key from pearson computing I believe it was?

Is it that host, something is downloaded from? http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/public.gpg

That fixes the problem with BT4 and launchpad.net.

Here is a reference
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    It's not so much that someone is trying to "downplay your stuff" but the problem is that you came out of now-where with some code that is hosted somewhere else and told people they can use it.
    i'll agree with you on that one. i think i was a little quick to jump the gun there. its true i dont have much forum activity but i am on the irc channel all the time. anyways, to explain that last it of "hash". it is a pixel map which is what the program reads from an image file. the image file in this case being the little backtrack logo beside the status bar. if anyone wants one without the pixel man cause they dont trust it, please let me know. i'll upload it also. the pixel map really serves no purpose. its just there to make the app look a bit more pretty :P
    here it is with the pixelmap still in the code:

and here it is without the pixel map code:

yes kmdave is correct. i threw in an option there so that the user can fix the GPG error off the bat. just to make things easier :P

Kinda activity of re-engineering.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast