Thread: Installer with disk encryption

Default Installer with disk encryption

May I request an installer that supports HDD installation with disk encryption using LUKS and LVM? Most modern distros offer that option today.
    If not, I can probably just rewrite my old BT3 tutorial for BT4... that's if someone doesn't beat me to it.
    I have the card in me head, but you have the memory problems?

One vote from me too, that's the only thing that i'm missing in Backtrack.

Yeah i couldn't agree further.

Just burned his ISO

I agree too, I moved from F10 on a LUKS/LVM partition to BT4 now, and that extra level of security is one of the things that I miss (Not that truecrypt can't do just as well in terms of directories)

Just burned his ISO

I agree truecrypt or some form of HDD encryption would be excellent considering what sensitive info is going to be saved.

Just burned his ISO

Bump!
    I like this idea too.

Until (or if even) it is included in bt4
    You might want to try mounting /root with loop-aes.. The AES256 algo is pretty strong. I usually mount it on a seperate USB dongle (the speed isn't too big of an issue on a home directory) but you can even use a partition of your harddrive.

Here is a link i've found explaining the procedure, you might have to tweak it a bit for BT4 tho:
    hermann-uwe.de/blog/howto-encrypted-usb-thumb-drives-and-usb-hard-disks-using-loop-aes

I've managed to tweak with BT4 to get it to work, here's the deal, bt4 uses a shitload of loops, they're literally all taken. my solution, make more loop devices:
    mknod /dev/loop69 b 7 69

Paranoia is justified when your client's entire network map + keys to the kingdom are on your laptop

Enjoy~