Thread: Anyone got a IDS system on dd-wrt?

Just burned his ISO

Default Anyone got a IDS system on dd-wrt?

I hope this is the best place to put this thread. Anyway, I've been wondering if it is possible to put snort or something similar on my wrt54g-tm router. After looking around on google for a while with mixed results, I decided I would come here and ask the security experts.

I've read tcpdump will work, but some people says it freezes up the router.

I have a web server that stays on 24/7 running ubuntu. So if I need a computer to dump log files on I could use that computer.

I don't want to get any additional hardware.
    New to BT, not new to Linux.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_R View Post
    I hope this is the best place to put this thread. Anyway, I've been wondering if it is possible to put snort or something similar on my wrt54g-tm router. After looking around on google for a while with mixed results, I decided I would come here and ask the security experts.

I've read tcpdump will work, but some people says it freezes up the router.

I have a web server that stays on 24/7 running ubuntu. So if I need a computer to dump log files on I could use that computer.

I don't want to get any additional hardware.
    Someone had written a Snort module for either DD-WRT or Open-WRT but I can't recall which. I believe it was abandoned a while ago with no new updates for quite some time.

Compiling Snort from source could be difficult if you're not sure how to do cross compiling for the correct architecture of your router.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.