Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non Admin Rights - Driver Install?

Default Non Admin Rights - Driver Install?

Alright. A few days ago I got a call from my sisters old high school teacher. I have done some tech work for her in the past. She said she was having a problem with her "School" computer and the help desk wont help her.

Of course I freaked out when I heard "School" Thats the school districts property, they dont allow free lance techs to work on school equipment? Im graduated from there but I still dont think that counts.

She said she has the oldest computer at the school (she does too) and the school is too broke to give her any new equipment or even tech support.

She said her problem was with her printer.

Her school printer broke. The school would not buy her a new printer. She has other teachers print her stuff. She keeps asking the school for a new one but they wont budge at all. So after months of this she finally went to BestBuy and bought herself a printer for her classroom and school computer. Turns out that she cant install the drivers for the printer cause her teacher account does not have admin rights (well thats the error she gets). So she has to bring her laptop to class and print everything on that. She says its real inconvenience. I agree! She has asked the helpdesk to send a tech out and install the drivers but they say "That printer is not supported" which I think means "Its not property of the school".

I tryed to install the drivers but got the same error. From the HP installed CD, then again from the device manager! I dont think you can install a driver without admin rights?

My idea is to hack the computer and get the local admin password and install the drivers, but I have a HUGE hunch this this would be wrong, against the law and against the school rules and get her fired.

I told her it "just cant be done".

Is there ANYTHING i can do to get this printer loaded without getting her in trouble...I really feel sorry for her.
    QUOTE=cybrsnpr;118082]I think you have the right idea, but I also think you are really trying to kill a gnat with a small nuclear device!

Good friend of the forums

If you can get into the registry, there might be a way.
    You can do stuff like lock the desktop stop taskmanger, and stop people installing drivers(which can cover GPO).
    Scape that go into control panel, and admin tools and local security policys, if you can't get in there, you might get in throught the reg(look on the internet for the key).
    start ..run..gpedit.msc

It will probale invole getting your friend fired, as the security policy, is well a policy.

dude, if you're social engineering us into giving you ways to hack into your school's computer, way to go man, the story you gave is just perfect example, straight out the texbook

Joke away. You should google for the terms "ophcrack" - there is a live cd you could download, and it will crack the local admin password in minutes. Crack as in "show", not "change". It uses rainbow tables to lookup the precomputed hash - most of the times, it has worked for me beautifully.

That is just one possible way, but you get the idea. Having physical access, you *should* be able to do almost anything with a computer, just be creative.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

With your wonderful abilities to tell stories and and to "haxor da boxor" why don't you just go and have a talk with the school's IT Person.
    Explain to him or her how the teacher can not do her job properly and has resorted to using a home computer. Maybe this will help the school to see that this is a greater risk than installing a new printer that she has brought in.

Not to mention this way would help the teacher keep her job, and maybe keep you out of trouble.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

I've never seen a school that didn't have at least one networked printer.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I've never seen a school that didn't have at least one networked printer.
    I know you were in the desert "over there". what about then?
    I seen them. well actually they didn't even have blackboards, or electricity but you get my point.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Ok. First off I don't think i can touch the registry, you need admin rights as well, they have the school computers locked down pretty tight.

Next i am not social engineering. I am not "stupid" enough to try it with this many experienced people on the forum. I go to a Jr. College. Search for any of my posts, most of the activity I do here is for my college projects, this is the first post about something like this and appearing they dont get recived to well.

And I dont prefer ophcrack. I reather do a samdump and a bkhive and load it on a powerful computer and run my 80GB of rainbow tables on it from my external drive! ophcrack is slow and prone to error iv seen.

I know 3 or 4 ways to gain admin access with physical access (like ophcrack if I must), but the trick is i DONT want to get her FIRED! I dont know how well the school logs local admin logins. On Wednesday shes going to go out to buy me a new laptop cause my old one died, i came to her house for some work and I did not bring it and she asked what happened. I have a Dell and with there over heating problem fried my memory and motherboard finally. She said she'll buy me a new one this Wednesday! I'm trying to do something nice for her. Im sorry my motives are so awful! lol

Yes the school has a "Printer Lab"....in another building. That's why she finds it easier to bring her drive to other teachers next door to print.

I am afraid talking to the help desk is the only thing she can do. i don't know if making threats with the help desk "Install this for me or I will have someone do it for me!" would make her very popular eather. I don't think she has direct access to the schools techs, only the help desk but she has a directory, maybe the tech would be in there.
    QUOTE=cybrsnpr;118082]I think you have the right idea, but I also think you are really trying to kill a gnat with a small nuclear device!

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    I know you were in the desert "over there". what about then?
    I seen them. well actually they didn't even have blackboards, or electricity but you get my point.
    Well there's that I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by >Dart> View Post
    I am afraid talking to the helpdesk is the only thing she can do. i dont know if making threats with the helpdesk "Install this for me or I will have someone do it for me!" would make her very popular eather. I dont think she has direct access to the schools techs, only the help desk but she has a directory, maybe he/she would be in there.
    Have her call the helpdesk and tell them she bought a printer, and just wants it hooked up. I used to work at a K-12 school district, so I know where she's coming from. It might take them a few days, but I don't see why they wouldn't help her out. I know we were overloaded with work orders, 7 techs and 9000 computers, no clue how many users. Trying to do a round about on the techs and sysadmins will just lead to more headaches than it's worth. I've physically removed non-approved equipment from rooms before.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Ok. First off I don't think i can touch the registry, you need admin rights as well, they have the school computers locked down pretty tight.
    start ..run..gpedit.msc
    Did that load up anything, as it has the option,diable/enable installtion of printer drivers.
    Under
    Computer Conf
    Windows Settings
    Security settings
    Local Polices
    Devices: Prevent users from installing printer drivers

Quote Originally Posted by compaq View Post
    start ..run..gpedit.msc
    Did that load up anything, as it has the option,diable/enable installtion of printer drivers.
    Under
    Computer Conf
    Windows Settings
    Security settings
    Local Polices
    Devices: Prevent users from installing printer drivers
    Well that would so far seem the best way for her to do it without accessing the helpdesk. Cause if she can access gpedit.msc from her teacher account then it should be ok right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast