Thread: This should never happen""

Default This should never happen""

Hi,

I am trying to load the BackTrack on my desktop but without a success. (on my Dell laptop it's fine).
    I get this message in the middle of the booting : Fatal error, this problem should never happen. I am not sure why it happens, it starts fine and then it goes wrong in the middle. I suspect it's something to do with my motherboard blocking it from continue.
    I am using Asus PQ5-E and Intel core quad 2.66GHZ+4GB ram.

I had a Gigabyte motherboard in the past and just remembered I had the same problem back the too. Is there anything special needs to be done when using a desktop?

Thank you all in advanced

Eran

if you give more details, such as what is "in the middle" we could be of better help to you.

Try acpi=off as boot switch... that sometimes helps

Quote Originally Posted by gromeo View Post
    if you give more details, such as what is "in the middle" we could be of better help to you.

Try acpi=off as boot switch... that sometimes helps
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. Well is there any way to copy what is written so I can tell you exactly? There are many things written there.

Oh, and what is acpi=off.... maybe it's a stupid question?....

Eran

Good friend of the forums

Quote Originally Posted by eran88 View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. Well is there any way to copy what is written so I can tell you exactly? There are many things written there.

Eran
    At the boot menu, press tab on one of the options and add acpi=off to the end. Also make sure that the BT3 is capitalized. I got that message several times until I realized that it needs to be uppercase.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Quote Originally Posted by eran88 View Post
    Hi,

Eran
    Hi again

So after a few days of test I still can't load the BT3. I don't have any USB dungle connected yet to my computer, that shouldn't be the reason why it's not loading right?

After booting the CD I get to the point when it says :

"Starting PCMCIA cardbus support"
    and then the next line is when it stops and I get this:

"Looking for Data directory
    Fatal error occurred -BTC data not found
    You are maybe using an unsupported boot device (e.g SCSI or OLD PCMCIA)
    workaround: copy the directory BT3 from your boot device to an IDE/SATA disk, e.g to /mnt/hda1/BT3 or c:\BT3 - then try to boot again"

I don't understand why it can't find the data directory, it's on the CD that I burned from the image file. and if I want to put it here : c:\BT3 , does that mean just to put it under C drive? my computer-C?

I am waiting for the USB dongle I ordered a few days ago and hope I will figure out the way to load the BT3 before it's here...

Thank you in advance,

Eran

Just burned his ISO ogredeschnique's Avatar

Default Isn't this in the wrong area?

I had the same issue using the initrd.gz from the liveCD.

Type "ls"
    and then press enter.
    Then type "exit"
    and press enter.

It should continue. Or at least it did for me , but I have reinstalled and reconfigured now so I have a different setup without initrd.gz.

The messages were about No Chroot, No init command
    Stuff like that. The first one that would happen using the initrd.gz, after looking for the BT3 folder (on the cd, which there was no cd).
    http ://forums.remote-exploit. org/showpost.php?p=113011&postcount=130

Just burned his ISO

I have that same motherboard p5q-e and the q6600 quad core at 2.4ghz and im getting that exact same problem. Ive tried the solutions listed here but no go. Im curious if backtrack tries to read the hard drive? I ask because im using a raid and maybe the controller with this mobo is the problem.

Default Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by gomjabar View Post
    I have that same motherboard p5q-e and the q6600 quad core at 2.4ghz and im getting that exact same problem. Ive tried the solutions listed here but no go. Im curious if backtrack tries to read the hard drive? I ask because im using a raid and maybe the controller with this mobo is the problem.

Ok so what I did was to replace my LG DVD BURNER with the LG Blue-ray Burner. The other burner was an IDE and this one is SATA and now it works, so I would recommand you to try this option