Thread: Putting broadcom network card in monitor mode

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Putting broadcom network card in monitor mode

Hello,

I have backtrack 4 installed inside a VMware workstation and am trying to put my network card into monitor mode. Can this be done?

Does this instead need to be installed on a separate partition or will that have any effect? This OS was installed as an Other type so I can't install Vmware tools. Can this be installed as Ubuntu or something else?

I tried grepping -i for broadcom and bcm when I run a dmesg and found nothing.

On windows my card is called Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card which indicates it is a Broadcom BCM4310.

It says this is unsupported here:
    hxxp://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

Is there any linux command I can run to check the model of this network card?

Thanks,
    David

It wouldn't matter anyway about the drivers as you need a USB wifi stick in VMware.

Just burned his ISO

Default USB wifi stick

Hello,

Do you have more information about this wifi stick? Will I be able to get this working on Vmware workstation?

How can I test that this is working?

If I was to setup backtrack on it's own partition would that help or would there still be issues with this network card.

Thanks,
    David

No idea about the card, I avoid Broadcom if I can. But, to get an internal PCI/Mini-PCI card working you'll have to install it, as yyou said to a partition.

BCM4310 will not work with b43 as it is now.. if you are desperate, go contact b43 devs. I also recall that BCM4310 will try to make itself under lspci entry as opposed to lsusb (in other words, it will list itself as a non USB device), which may also mean that it will never work with vmware if you can't share the adapter.

and just be warned with internal PCI/Mini-PCI or any other form of connection apart from USB will not work with vmware or any other virtualisation software.