Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brainstorming - The Way to Backtrack

Just burned his ISO

I think its a pretty nice Idea ...

but I got some questions:
    should your course cost something?
    and where should it be placed? On your own web page or in Real life?
    And when do you think you have finished the first part =)

I am looking forward to read your "tutorial"

mfg neo =)

Quote Originally Posted by neocrom View Post
    I think its a pretty nice Idea ...

but I got some questions:
    should your course cost something?
    and where should it be placed? On your own web page or in Real life?
    And when do you think you have finished the first part =)

I am looking forward to read your "tutorial"

mfg neo =)
    To answer your questions:

Nope I don't want to make money off of it. It will be an offer for those who are interested to learn and get the basic knowledge in order to use BT.
    I will create a PDF and some videos to read and watch and also give some assignments. It will require no to little knowledge. People will use their own machine with Virtual Box in order to follow the course.
    I hope that I will be done with the first part till the end of March.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Looking forward to your guide. I have never used Gentoo and i keep meaning to give it a go. Maybe your guide will be the nudge i need.

Quote Originally Posted by mummysboy View Post
    Looking forward to your guide. I have never used Gentoo and i keep meaning to give it a go. Maybe your guide will be the nudge i need.
    Well I played around and decided to go with two stages. At first I will go with Ubuntu for learning the basics and so on.

It won't make any sense to install Gentoo using all the different commands required without any prior knowledge. It will take time to learn and go through the course, but it will be worth it.

I will also include some exercises and so on
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

How to search for documentation, error reports/fixes in the internet, using google and the forum search (no pun intended)
    Learning how to get to and use the man pages. I don't just mean the man pages on google but also the man pages that can be found right on their o.s. (if they are installed).

I wouldn't recommend gentoo as a beginner linux distro. I would recommend slackware though. Learning how to compile and use makefiles, and learning how to update already installed programs without a package manager should prove to be more beneficial.

Thanks for the input

I will add the man pages and check out slackware too.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Ok, I just added network configuration to the list since a lot of people seem to have a hard time to configure everything correctly, especially if it comes to static IP setup.

I've got my demo machine installed with an english version of XP finally so I will be able to start recording over the weekend and can present the very first alpha for a review by the beginning of the next week I think.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

KMDave,

Any updates on this? Or is it still a work in progress?
    In all large corporations, there is a pervasive fear that someone, somewhere is having fun with a computer on company time. Networks help alleviate that fear.
    -John C. Dvorak

DiggThis-09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0

I would be interested. Also consider a section in reguards to compatible wireless cards. I fear to buy a laptor because of it.
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

Just burned his ISO

What I would like to see from my n00b perspective is definitely solid info on partitioning. I hope KMDave has an update for us as much of the linux resources that i've used so far have been coming from so many different places on the web also were for different distros, so it's hard to know which information to "trust" so to speak.

Here's a thought that may be somewhat offtopic to linux basics, but good for BT basics. One thing i've been doing is taking time to learn what each tool does in backtrack. But after this is finished then what?? I haven't yet done any searching on it so forgive any possible ignorance, but maybe at the end of the course there could be something on pentesting methodology.
    Where to begin with a pen test, and how to follow through.

As far as compatible wireless cards, theres alot of info out there in many different places. One that I like is the aircrack page. From my experience, laptops tend to use the same form factor for the wireless adapters, so swapping one out might not be out of the questions. I happen to have a broadcom adapter sitting around that i pulled out of my dead laptop that i know definitely does injection. Very easy to remove also. I've also heavily utilized USB adapters as my realtek 8187L that i happened to have before starting with all of this stuff was natively supported in BT with injection. So buy the laptop you like, and it if doesnt have a compatible chip, pick up a USB adapter that is supported. My realtek model is a rosewill i got from newegg for 18$

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12