Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brainstorming - The Way to Backtrack

Default Brainstorming - The Way to Backtrack

Hey guys,

since I am always ranting that people should learn about Linux and the basics before using BT, I decided that I want to create a course for the noobs or those who think they need some more knowledge in preparation for using BT and in learning the basics of Linux.

Please note that it is so far independent from Offsec/Remote-Exploit, but I think it is the ideal platform to ask and offer such a thing. If any of the mods/admins object, please let me know. Don't want to piss anyone off with it.

What will be included in this (I will extend the list with your ideas):

• Installation of a Linux system (not BT,Gentoo has been suggested)
    • Understanding the partitioning scheme in Linux
    • File system hierarchy
    • Basic command line usage
    • Setting up networking (DHCP and static)
    • Using textbased editor(s)
    • Common configuration files
    • Location of logfiles (common logfiles)
    • Basic scripting (Bash,Perl,Python,Ruby)
    • Compilation of tools and analyzing common compilation errors
    • How to search for documentation, how to use man pages , error reports/fixes in the internet, using google and the forum search (no pun intended)

So I'd like to ask you, what you think should be added to such a course. As for beginners, please state, what you'd like to know and expect to learn. For the more experienced users of BT what would you expect from a beginner to know before using BT?

Thanks in advance.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Good friend of the forums

there is the LPI 101 and 202, + Linux CBT, for the noobs... but supporting forum members is always better!
    So if you go for it and create someting competitive to the above, I think we will all be happy to direct the n00bs to your course page etc

There is always something available somewhere, most of the time it costs (a lot of) money.

But it shouldn't just be a read and forget type of stuff but also teach on how to do some research on your own, where common mistakes are made, where logfiles can be found, where to go from there and so on.

Yes I also know, that some won't take the offer since it means not dealing with BT directly. But either they want to learn it right or let it be. Might also be an indicator on if people are serious about learning or not
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Still being a n00b (currently working through various 'courses' to learn more) the sort of things that are difficult to get your head round are processes that should be followed. For example, I want to install some software on my linux system, but it has dependancies that I do not have installed, the error may well say you need xyz, but if I try to svn co xyz, it does not exist, I needed to svn co xyzdev-lib. Now, how would I find that out? I have been merely stumbling through google searches to find the correct name of dependancies, and then either downloading them directly or using svn etc.

So I suppose 'real-world' examples of situations would help, certainly me anyway.

That would fall under the compiling and compilation error stuff, so it is already kept in mind.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Could I suggest you use gentoo as the example OS? I think its the best way to understand exactly how linux works. It will help them understand what the kernel is and that linux doesn't need an installer .

Sure I can, haven't decided on the distro to use. Good point, thank you
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by thunderwing View Post
    Could I suggest you use gentoo as the example OS? I think its the best way to understand exactly how linux works. It will help them understand what the kernel is and that linux doesn't need an installer .
    Well, Linux From Scratch (LSC) probably does a better job, but I suppose getting everyone to build their own Linux system first sort of defeats the object of training!

That would be like the last thing to do. But to get into the basics at first a distro which is good to go is preferred.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Well I hope its not that much of a bad idea, as its what I'm just about to try ! I have got used to a fair amount though with BT3, BT4B, Kubuntu, and surprisingly MacOS-X !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast