Thread: Having problems with my Wireless USB connecting my Access Point

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Having problems with my Wireless USB connecting my Access Point

So a couple of days ago Ive downloaded backtrack 4 live iso(first time user with the backtrack linux distro) I was able to run it through Sun xVM virtual box. Now BT4 is able to recognize my wireless nic card and I am able to run Airodump-Airplay and Aircrack which in turn I was able to capture beacon packets and also was able to fake authenticate with my Access Point and Replay ARP broadcast messages. So I know that my nic card is running fine. But whenever i try to access my ap through iwconfig wlan0 configuration I keep getting these error messages SET failed on device wlan0 Opertaion not Supported this is happens whenever I either commit interface changes, put my wlan0 interface in superuser mode. Can anyone help me connect to my AP through backtrack 4

- much obliged

Give more detail about the card.
    use this
    lsusb
    iwconfig

Just burned his ISO

my wirelsee nic is actually a Cisco-Linksy Compact Wireless-G usb adapter. It able to pick up wlan0 and i am able to use iwconfig i put the Essid and the WEP key but when I conmit the settings I get this message "SET failed on device wlan0 Opertaion not Supported" I am also able to bring the interface up. I havent tried lsusb command yet do you think it might work?

That should be Linksys WUSB54GC card as windows recognize it same what you told.
    check here for more info
    http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=rt73

Just burned his ISO

Okay so I was able to connect to my AP but i did not get my ip address through DCHP instead I had to statically configure one. I was still unable to get into firefox but what I was able to do was capture packets through promiscuous mode using wireshark. For some reason however i crashed my entire network I had two monitor modes going at the same time do you think that was the cause of it?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johndoe1893 View Post
    do you think that was the cause of it?
    No the problem really is that you got in to big of a hurry to do the kewl stuff without getting the basics down a bit first. Take your time John and you will figure it out.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.