Thread: HP 1030NR Video Problems

Just burned his ISO

Default HP 1030NR Video Problems

Hey I just bought a new HP 1030NR and I have Backtrack 3 final installed on an USB device but everytime I get to the root login I keep getting video buffer errors when trying to start KDE or xstart. Is their problems with my drivers for the GMA 950? Can someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks

check with /var/log/X0rg.log something like that,file should be there & it would help you to understand what's wrong with graphic.also you can try with command
    fixvesa;startx

Just burned his ISO

So I will try fixvesa and try that again. Is there anything else I could do as well?

as I told to check with /var/log for x0rg log to read & analyze what is wrong with display settings.

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by secure_it View Post
    as I told to check with /var/log for x0rg log to read & analyze what is wrong with display settings.
    Ok tried the fixvesa command and got Parse error, Fatal server error: No screens found.

I'm new to linux so I was wondering if you could tell me how to bring that config file you wanted me to look at up.

Thanks so much for helping me. I really want to get this working correctly.

Just burned his ISO

If you want to boot into backtrack 3, in the beginning where it says something about the video error, hit enter. That's when it will show you the list of video options. Choose the one that's 80x40. That means 800x400 pixels.

The problem is that Backtrack is trying to display in a size that isn't "okay" for your HP. Your HP is 1024x576 I believe is the display. Anyways we noob linux users need to figure out how to change that file, and the guy below us is telling us how to. Which I am trying right now.

I just recieved my HP Mini 1000

Just burned his ISO

awesome thanks for the info tell me if you figure out how to change that file to reflect that . Have you figured out how to get your wireless to work?

Configuring /etc/X11/xorg.conf will make your display work.make a backup of it & start configuring it & for that you must have handy info about display settings
    refresh rate
    resolution supported
    bit depth(almost all supports 16,26,32 bit)
    use search function here for how to edit xconf for putting these values.
    One more thing I was curious about is,that actually you can download GMA 950 drivers for linux & install them & it should autoconfigure your xconf without needing to manually.if this does not work,in that case use the manual meothd above.