Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WPA cracking...big wordlist or just good wordlist.

Default WPA cracking...big wordlist or just good wordlist.

I see some people are using gigabyte sized wordlists for WPA cracking. How much success are people having with lists these size? I had a 4 gigabyte list at one time but I find it to be rather useless to have such a big list for something that takes a lot of computing power. My current list is a about 350MB and it takes several hours to complete a dictionary attack against a single essid. Are some of you using these lists with specialized hardware? The only other thing I can think of is if you use pyrit or maybe you just have a boatload of cores.

Developer

Well you can use a offsite hosted server than you rent or something like that. Ive been using pyrit a lot lately. I can use a 3 gig list, make a table and run it all the way through cowpatty in about 7 hours. Thats only with 2 8800gt's and a quad core.

Do you get somewhere in the range of 10,000k/s?

Developer

yes. currently about 5,000 per card and about 250 per core in the cpu. Pyrit now not only can use multiple cards but it uses the cpu power as well. thats just on making the table. Once the table is made cowpatty tests about 50,000 keys per second.

I guess I was right. You are using pyrit AND multiple of cores. Just out of curiosity is there any reason you prefer cowpatty to aircrack/airolib?

I have a problem with a big 28GB File:
    "Background info": 1.The dictionary file is copied on the Windows box hdd, it was a ~78MB zip archive, after I extracted the file is a big 28GB.
    2.I boot BT3 from dvd and i use aircrack-ng tools
    3.I captured a WPA handshake from my router, it uses a WPA2-PSK encryption

"The Problem":
    When i use the aircrack-ng command:
    aircrack-ng -w /mnt/hda6/dictionary.txt -b xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    I recieve the message that my dictionary file is empty. I AM SURE THAT THE DICTIONARY FILE ISN'T EMPTY.

It's because of the size of the dictionary file?

Developer

If you are talking about the file that's called adcd's word list or something like that, then your problem is that all the words in that list are less than 8 chars which is the minimum for wpa. Aircrack will disregard any word less than 8 chars and therefore aircrack considers the word list to be "empty" since there are no words that meet its criteria. Really that list is not a word list at all but a "brute force" list which was made with some sort of dictionary generator.

Yes, it's about that dictionary file "adcd". I did open it, and I did noticed the "brute-force" generated words, but i didn't check if there was any words with >=8 characters length. It's seems that it's useless for wpa cracking. I would make my own "brute-force" wordlist with >= 8character length words, but I don't know how long does it takes. Can anyone provide me a wordlist generate time calculator? It would be helpful to know if it's worth it. Thank you!

Developer

Brute force is not really a viable option for wpa so there are no lists. If you have a few hundred gigs you could make one of only 8 chars all lowercase no special characters but the time it would take aircrack to get through it would be like 47 years

I was taking in consideration the time spent to make the dictionary file but I realize now that the cracking with aircrack time it's a issue too to this kind of approach.

Thank You for the patient and the info's for my questions!

So as conclusion: TOO LARGE DICTIONARY FILE DON'T WORTH THE WORK, it's better to have a specific dictionary file on the target( and I suppose the target it's your own equipment)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast