Thread: A few quick BT4 Repo Questions

Just burned his ISO

Default A few quick BT4 Repo Questions

Hi all,

Hope these questions aren't stupid, I did some searching before asking them and found no clear answers.

1) Are there any repos I should disable before running apt-get upgrade? Am I safe leaving the ones on that are enabled by default? Is there any reason to add the Ubuntu repos to my sources? If so, am I right in thinking that running an update with these enabled could mess things up?

2) On a related note, would those looking to customize backtrack a lot for long term use be better off waiting for a final release? Will updates be provided for BT4-Beta as modifications are made en route to final release? In other words, will I have to eventually clean install BT4-Final once it comes out, and would I be wasting my time setting a lot up in the beta?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the potentially noobish questions. Please bear with some of my ignorance, I actually do want to learn.

As I understand it, the repos will probably under go change as BT4 does. I don't know the inherit dangers off hand of updating repos, I did last night and everything seems to work well. A couple didn't work for me, but they were intrepid repos. Maybe one of the seniors can add more light on it

Developer

The offsec repo has not yet changed. We are currently in the process of committing all the fix's and adding new stuff.

There will be a announcement when there is a major update to the backtrack repo.

We have implemented a pinning system so that when you upgrade if there are custom packages in the backtrack repo (i.e. aircrack) then you will get those automatically and you will not get the aircrack from the main ubuntu repos. You should be safe to add whatever however if you start adding obscure repos we may not have some of that stuff pinned so it could cause problems.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    The offsec repo has not yet changed. We are currently in the process of committing all the fix's and adding new stuff.

There will be a announcement when there is a major update to the backtrack repo.

We have implemented a pinning system so that when you upgrade if there are custom packages in the backtrack repo (i.e. aircrack) then you will get those automatically and you will not get the aircrack from the main ubuntu repos. You should be safe to add whatever however if you start adding obscure repos we may not have some of that stuff pinned so it could cause problems.
    Cool, then I'll HD install it tonight. I appreciate the information, and look forward to using the beta!

P.S. Is there currently anything in the Bt4 repo that's not already preinstalled? Is there a list of contained packages somewhere?