Thread: Unetbootin and persistent changes

Just burned his ISO

Default Unetbootin and persistent changes

I've been experimenting with various ways and means to use BT3 and by that, I mean installation methods.
    Before I go anywhere, I must note to anyone that I cannot do a USB install, my old Tosh lappy does not give me this ability.
    I've gone through a HDD install and this was problematic for reasons I need not mention.
    What I want to do: use Unetbootin for an HDD install and be able to save persistent changes to an ext2 or ext3 partition.
    I've already installed BT3 final with this method. Unetbootin uses GRUB (probably stating the obvious) for a boot loader.
    If I hit the escape key during a boot to BT3, I get the same menu as the live CD. If I choose the option of "save persistent changes", it does not, and there again,obviously because changes.lzm is on a directory in my NTFS partition.
    Forgot to mention, using this with XP Pro.
    I've created a 5gb ext3 partition with GParted.
    What do I need to edit in order to save changes to my partition? should it be ext2 instead?
    Any help would be appreciated, I've searched for ideas and never saw this exact combination of using the HDD Unetbootin install and having a partition to save changes with.

Just burned his ISO

I solved my problem this morning.
    I never mentioned that I did edit bootinst.bat and syslinux.cfg as suggested in another thread. these did not work for me.
    I found another way: I went to C:/unetbtin and saw that there was a menu.lst file in it.
    I edited it and added "changes=/dev/sda2" and now it is saving.
    It looks like this:

Code:
    default 0
    timeout 10

title UNetbootin
    find --set-root /unetbtin/ubnkern
    kernel  /unetbtin/ubnkern vga=0x317  ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw changes=/dev/sda2 autoexec=xconf;kdm
    initrd /unetbtin/ubninit 
    boot

title BT3 Graphics mode (KDE)
    find --set-root /boot/vmlinuz
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=0x317   ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw changes=/dev/sda2 autoexec=xconf;kdm
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz
    boot

title BT3 Graphics mode (Flux)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=0x317   ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;flux
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz
    boot

title BT3 Graphics mode (VESA KDE)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=0x317  ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=kdm
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz
    boot

title BT3 Text mode Frame Buffer
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=0x317  ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz
    boot

title Run BT3 no DHCP
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=0x317  ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw nodhcp
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz
    boot

title Run BT3 no Hard Disk
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=0x317  ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw nohd
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz
    boot

title Run BT3 Safe Mode
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=normal  ramdisk_size=6666
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz
    boot

title BT3 Graphics mode with Persistent Changes
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=0x317  ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw changes=/changes/slaxsave.dat autoexec=xconf;kdm
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz
    boot

title BT3 Graphics mode, Copy To RAM
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=0x317  ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw copy2ram autoexec=xconf;kdm
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz
    boot

title Run Memtest utility
    find --set-root /boot/mt86p
    kernel /boot/mt86p 
    initrd /unetbtin/ubninit
    boot
    I added it to the first two entries only, don't know if it's redundant yet, I'll delete the entry in "BT Graphics Mode" and see if it is.
    Thanks

Just burned his ISO imported_cr1p70's Avatar

Lightbulb BT4 with Presistent Change's

With a 2G USB drive
    Re-partition the usb drive using Linux. i used BT3 & Qtparted
    make one partition 1G fat32 and the rest for ext2 now save it.

boot back to windows is what i did sorry but im still learning linux till then i have to use it somewhat.

now I have a usb thumbdrive with a one 1 GB FAT32 partition on it.

next i extract theBT4B iso with winrar to usb drive then used the UNetbootin tool mentioned on the forum. start UNetbootin, select the Backtrack 4iso, select the USB drive and click okay. you should now have a bootable USb drive.

now I booted into back track 4 open console and create file system on changes drive the other partition.. mine was sdb2

open a terminal windows
    mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/sdb2
    cd /mnt/sdb2
    mkdir changes

now i had to make some changes to how the system boots. Execute the following:

cd /boot/syslinux
    chmod +Xx lilo
    chmod +Xx syslinux

Open syslinux.cfg with nano and I made the following change. I copied the boot definition I wanted to change and created a new entry so I would have a failsafe option if something went wrong.

Find the line “LABEL BT4″.
    Copy that line and next 3
    and paste them right below the existing line.

Now to make my boot setup:
    Change the “LABEL BT4″ to whatever you like
    (“LABEL BT4-persist” )

and description to something like

(“MENU LABEL BT4 Beta - Console - Persistent”)

Change the line that begins with APPEND
    put this “changes=/dev/sdx2″ immediately after

“root=/dev/ram0 rw” where the x is the drive appropriate for your system. In my case it was, "root=/dev/ram0 rw changes=/dev/sdb2….”

Reboot and select your boot option you setup.
    test it, create a file or wallpaper and reboot again. If your file is still there, everything is all good..

I couln't get BT4 to install to harddrive But this is how got it to Boot to USB with Presistent Change's,
    Thx Go Out to Infosec Ramblings Tut from another site and changed it to my needz.
    hope this may help some 1 out like it did me and if you follow his tut you can also install nessus.