Thread: How can I to reveal IPs in LAN?

Just burned his ISO

Default How can I to reveal IPs in LAN?

How can I tell my router's IP and all station's IP associated with my router once
    I'm connected to the Access Point?
    Using the konsole...

Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: How can I to reveal IPs in LAN?

Given it's your router you should already know this, but if you wanted to pretend you had no knowledge of the networks logical addressing structure you could use one of the following methods to discover it:
    • Do a scan of the appropriate network range using a command line host/port scanner such as nmap, unicornscan, etc. This can be defeated by packet filters (firewalls) on the scanned systems. You also have to know that the appropriate range is, which you can find via DHCP replies or via sniffing.
    • Capture traffic on the network and check the source and destination addresses. This requires that each system sends or receives traffic on the network during the time which you are sniffing.
    • Access the router and check its DHCP database. Requires that you can access the router. Not all machines with DHCP leases are necessarily currently active on the network.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

These method are all too complicated I'm sure there is a simple command to reveal all IP on the LAN network.
    By using airodump-ng I can reveal the MAC address of any station, which is connected to the AP
    and the MAC of the AP itself.However using airodump-ng requires disabling the network service thus
    I can't be connected to the AP in the same time I want to see any station which is associated with the AP.
    In addition I don't know how to convert the MAC into IP address.
    I'm pretty sure that it should be a lot easier to reveal all stations and AP IP once I'm connected to the AP, but I don't know what command should I enter into the knosole so thats I'm asking.

That depends what you mean by connected.
    If you have associated with the AP, it will tell you what its address is, etc.

If you aren't associated, I'm not sure what you mean, but start with kismet. That will tell you client MAC addresses, and sometimes will give you an address range.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by 18436572 View Post
    If you aren't associated, I'm not sure what you mean, but start with kismet. That will tell you client MAC addresses, and sometimes will give you an address range.
    I'm associated with the AP and the wicd tells me what is my IP at the bottom.
    I don't know how to use kismet, but with iwconfig I can see the MAC address of the AP while I'm connected.
    Still I can't figure out how to see the IP of the AP and all stations,

Quote Originally Posted by sdk26 View Post
    These method are all too complicated I'm sure there is a simple command to reveal all IP on the LAN network.
    By using airodump-ng I can reveal the MAC address of any station, which is connected to the AP
    and the MAC of the AP itself.However using airodump-ng requires disabling the network service thus
    I can't be connected to the AP in the same time I want to see any station which is associated with the AP.
    In addition I don't know how to convert the MAC into IP address.
    I'm pretty sure that it should be a lot easier to reveal all stations and AP IP once I'm connected to the AP, but I don't know what command should I enter into the knosole so thats I'm asking.
    And once you find out the IP addresses of the connected hosts Im assuming that you'll want to hit the "HAx0r i7 N0wZ!!" button in BackTrack to pwn all of those systems?

Well you came back with that response awfully fast, so Im assuming you didnt spend too much time thinking about what I said or reading up on any of the subjects that were raised...

Penetation Testing is a complicated field, I'll give you that, but those explanations I just gave you are about as simple as it gets. If they are giving you so much trouble that you won't even attempt to try and understand them you may want to do some reading on basic networking before you proceed any further. That's if you are actually interested in learning something, rather than just finding programs to hand hold you through the process of breaking into wireless networks.

We are not really big on spoonfeeding here, we expect people to be willing to put in some effort to research their own issues rather than just telling them exactly what they need to do each step of the way. We will happily give you hints, nudges or even a push, but we are not going to carry you just because you have decided something is too hard without putting in a reasonable effort to understand.
    Last edited by lupin; 02-27-2010 at 03:47 PM.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

I'm after the same thing I think.

Let's say I switch off DHCP on my access point, then manually enter an IP range (imagine 192.168.3.x) on the various NIC's in my network - if the intruder has no idea of what IP he should manually assign himself to do network mapping, how would he go about discovering it?

Is there an application that will automatically change the intruders machine IP, scan a range, change IP, scan range etc etc.. or wouldn't that be necessary?

Thank you

(post needs to be moderator approved, sorry if the question has been answered)

Quote Originally Posted by mythan View Post
    I'm after the same thing I think.

Let's say I switch off DHCP on my access point, then manually enter an IP range (imagine 192.168.3.x) on the various NIC's in my network - if the intruder has no idea of what IP he should manually assign himself to do network mapping, how would he go about discovering it?

Is there an application that will automatically change the intruders machine IP, scan a range, change IP, scan range etc etc.. or wouldn't that be necessary?

Thank you

(post needs to be moderator approved, sorry if the question has been answered)

The second of the options from my post above will work.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you Lupin, I'll have a bit of a mess around and see how I go on my network

Even if it's frustrating at times, there are people who appreciate the effort you put into answering their questions.