Thread: Data flow on WPA

Just burned his ISO

Default Data flow on WPA

I am pretty certain my Atheros wireless card on a fairly new HP laptop, is compatible, although I cant see it in the list of cards that are, because I have had success with finding a WEP key.

When I now try to find the WPA password for a local target, it says that this kind of action requires data to be flowing, what I would like to know is how much movement does there have to be. Looking at the available bssids none of them move very much, perhaps 1 or 2 under data stream every 10 minutes.

The lists of passwords that are in BackTrack; I have tried to add to these by pasting in more but I cant get this to work, is there any particular reason for this.
    Am I correct in thinking that there are only very few seconds to find out if any of the passwords are correct, before the user reconnects.

Quote Originally Posted by fontwell View Post
    I am pretty certain my Atheros wireless card on a fairly new HP laptop, is compatible, although I cant see it in the list of cards that are, because I have had success with finding a WEP key.

When I now try to find the WPA password for a local target, it says that this kind of action requires data to be flowing, what I would like to know is how much movement does there have to be. Looking at the available bssids none of them move very much, perhaps 1 or 2 under data stream every 10 minutes.

The lists of passwords that are in BackTrack; I have tried to add to these by pasting in more but I cant get this to work, is there any particular reason for this.
    Am I correct in thinking that there are only very few seconds to find out if any of the passwords are correct, before the user reconnects.
    Just fire up iTunes on one of your computers, that usually streams quite a bit of data. Or watch a hulu show on them.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the info but I dont have iTunes.

Are you saying that I can generate this data myself, because I naturally assumed that this data was streaming between the target pc and its router, and the password is regenerated when this process is abruptly stopped.

Good friend of the forums

I would like to know is how much movement does there have to be. Looking at the available bssids none of them move very much, perhaps 1 or 2 under data stream every 10 minutes.
    you should only wait for movement of the BSSIDs to the left. Ignore any movements to the right, as they usually don't show any WPA passwords... and yes, if they move less than 2 times per 10 minutes, you're out of luck... follow the advice of Barry if you ask me.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Thanks for the info but I dont have iTunes.

Are you saying that I can generate this data myself, because I naturally assumed that this data was streaming between the target pc and its router, and the password is regenerated when this process is abruptly stopped.
    itunes is a free download. The point is to use one of your computers to do something that involves moving data. e.g. streaming video.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

[QUOTE=archangel.amael; "The point is to use one of your computers to do something that involves moving data. e.g. streaming video"
    -
    Can someone explain simply how this works.
    I cannot see how streaming video on another computer, or even the same computer, on a different tab say, can speed up the data between the target pc and its wireless router, isnt that what we are trying to do..

You don't really need any other data other than the handshake to crack WPA. That means you need an associated client. First deauth the client and catch the handshake on reconnection.

Can someone explain simply how this works.
    I cannot see how streaming video on another computer, or even the same computer, on a different tab say, can speed up the data between the target pc and its wireless router, isnt that what we are trying to do..
    The point is, that if the target isn't yours, and you don't know how this process works, you have no business trying it, and you're obviously attempting to commit a crime.

Epic FAIL.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

hi fontwell

are the target computer and router owned and operated by you? Sounds like they are someone elses, which explains why you are having difficulty generating this data flow.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Just go knock on your neighbors door and ask him to fire up Itunes or Hulu.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!