Thread: 50% done - Compiling .deb packages - From BackTrack 3 tool list - Anyone want them?

Hybrid View

Post 50% done - Compiling .deb packages - From BackTrack 3 tool list - Anyone want them?

Hello

You may of noticed, a few months ago I wrote on this forum saying that I'd be making a distribution of BackTrack built on Ubuntu.

This means, all the tools of BackTrack, on Ubuntu.

However, ran into quite a few problems, including having to recreate my distribution from a clean install of Ubuntu 8 times.

I have recently begun on the path of packaging each of the tools featured on the BackTrack Tool List into .deb format.

I have gotten about 50% of the tools into .deb packages.
    (This includes ones I've made & those that I have found in other repositories)

Ended up having too much work to do, and it seems that BackTrack 4 has beat me to the punch!

(guess that's the advantage of having more than one person working on a distribution, more things get done, faster!)

Is that right? Or would the BackTrack team like any of my precompiled .deb, to save them a little hassle?

It's not that I've completely given up on my distribution, but I don't see the need to create the other half of Debian packages, if they have already been packaged for me.

So, since I like helping Linux communties, I will offer you all work with the creation/gathering of .deb packages that I have acquired in my mission to "port BackTrack to Ubuntu".

I haven't had a chance to go through the BackTrack Debian repository yet, so I don't know if you have already done this.

Please tell me if you are interested (not via PM, but as reply to this thread).

Warmest regards,

Panarchy

Good friend of the forums

I for one am interested - can you create some folder structure, tar.gz-ip them and host them somewhere, say, rapidshare? Some of the tools on the list have not made it yet in the Big 4 so they would be a sweet addition to the toolset..

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Panarchy, I mean no offense by this whatsoever but what is the guarantee that the packages are on the up and up? How are people supposed to trust the source?
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

How can you trust any source?

Especially, how can you trust Linux at all?

It's rare that people get paid for writing Linux, what makes you trust them?

xorred: Please tell me exactly which .deb's you want. As I said before, I've only created/found 50% of the tools in .deb packages, so I may not have all the .deb's you want. But please tell me exactly which ones you want, and I'll upload them somewhere.

Panarchy

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Panarchy View Post
    How can you trust any source?

It's rare that people get paid for writing Linux, what makes you trust them?
    Like any good Linux user, I read every single line of source code.

...and to agree with Wyze, why should anyone trust your packages over the BT4 distro? Many of us have met Muts and the others, I don't think anyone here knows who you are.

I'd say you're less trustworthy than the dev's of BT.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Like any good Linux user, I read every single line of source code.

...and to agree with Wyze, why should anyone trust your packages over the BT4 distro? Many of us have met Muts and the others, I don't think anyone here knows who you are.

I'd say you're less trustworthy than the dev's of BT.
    You read every line of source-code? Wouldn't that be really frustrating, every time a new kernel is released, you re-read the whole source-code for it? And how about every single program that makes up BackTrack? You've read the source code of all that?

I just want to be nice, and save you guys a bit of time by providing you with the Debian Packages I spent ages creating.

Of course no one knows who I am, as I like to have (at least a semblance of) anonymity online.

The offer is still up, so someone please tell the developers about this thread.

Panarchy

Hello

You may of noticed, a few months ago I wrote on this forum saying that I'd be making a distribution of BackTrack built on Ubuntu.

This means, all the tools of BackTrack, on Ubuntu.
    Umm.. WTF do you think BT4 is???

I trust the creators/dev's of BackTrack, who the fsck are you??

This also not an appropriate subforum for this post.

I certainly smell a

TROLL
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze