Thread: Realtek 8187B Wifi Driver Support

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Realtek 8187B Wifi Driver Support

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A205 and for some reason Toshi decided to integrate this wireless card onto the motherboard through a usb interface instead of PCMCIA. Linux had yet to support this the RTL8187B chipset in previous versions, but I heard the newer kernel does in fact support it. Lack of support for my wireless card kept me using windowze with no linux on this machine, and my question is if anyone with this wireless card has installed the BT4 beta with any success using wifi, without using ndiswrapper. I just hope the newer kernel fixes this problem, so I can put a real OS on my laptop and actually use it every once and awhile.

Just burned his ISO

Sorry about posting an question thats already been answered. I do now have one I can't seem to find any info about. Does the new kernel support WPA2 encryption with this card? My home network is WPA2 and I know the previous versions fix was ndiswrapper which had alot of trouble with a WPA key. It was okay with WEP, but WPA was no bueno. Is this now fixed as well?

rtl8187b and rtl8187 are merged in the new kernel as rtl8187. This new driver supports WPA2 out of the box. I just tested it successfully with WPA2 AES.

I have that card.
    you donít have to install drivers, it works with mac80211 that BT4 kernel has.

I canít connect to the internet with the NetworkMenager but I can crack wep and wpa, but is difficult to inject you has to be very close to the rooter.

Quote Originally Posted by M1TH1K View Post
    I have that card.
    you donít have to install drivers, it works with mac80211 that BT4 kernel has.

I canít connect to the internet with the NetworkMenager but I can crack wep and wpa, but is difficult to inject you has to be very close to the rooter.
    I seem to have the same problem as well. When i take the device off monitor mode i can not scan for any networks.

Quote Originally Posted by fossilk1 View Post
    I seem to have the same problem as well. When i take the device off monitor mode i can not scan for any networks.
    I have noticed a problem with mine as well. Occasionally after switching between monitor and managed mode (and back again), I'm not able to see any networks when scanning with iwlist, kismet or airodump-ng. I've tried unloading and reloading the modules, and other things, but the only thing I've found to correct this is to reboot. A bit annoying, but at least it is a fix to the problem.

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Realtek 8187B Wifi Driver Support

Sory,i need help, i have the same Network card but i cant to connect on wifi and also have problems with cracking wep, it appears the text below when i start the aircrack-ng :

root@bt:~# aircrack-ng wep-01.cap
    Opening wep-01.cap
    Read 69291 packets.

# BSSID ESSID Encryption

1 00:18:39:C6:9C:1F linksys WPA (0 handshake)

Choosing first network as target.

Opening wep-01.cap
    Please specify a dictionary (option -w).

Quitting aircrack-ng...
    root@bt:~#