Thread: help me setup my toshiba tecra m5 wireless please

Just burned his ISO

Default help me setup my toshiba tecra m5 wireless please

hi ive eventually managed to get an install working however iwconfig -a says no such device

im at a loss where to go from here, so if someone can point me in right direction, would appreciate it

thanks

Just burned his ISO

You're not really giving much of a synopsis on what's wrong. Just installed what? The drivers? What card do you have? What's the output when you type in just iwconfig? Answer some of these questions and I'll try to help. I have nothing to do tonight anyway but learn Perl.

its not iwconfig -a.instead its ifconfig -a.your laptop should have Intel 3945 A/B/G and it supports right out of the box.for confirming the card.tell output of
    iwconfig
    lspci

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the replies, i realise i have started 2 threads on this, but am getting different replies so i will continue as i would like to find a resolution, i have to type the responses out obviously cos its on another machine.

lspci brings up in regards to wireless

05:00.0 Network controller: Intel corporation PRO/wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection{rev 02}

iwconfig shows

lo no wireless extensions

eth0 no wireless extensions

wmaster0 no wireless extensions

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abg ESSID:""
    mode:managed frequency:2.412 Ghz Access point: Not associated
    TX-Power=0 dbm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS Thrff Fragment Thr= 2352 B
    Encryption keyff
    Power managementff
    Link quality:0 Signal Level:0 Noise level:0
    RXinvalid nwid:0 RXinvalid crypt:0 RXinvalid frag:0
    TX excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 missed beacon:0

thats all it says, someone suggested i should go back to BT3?? is that the best thing to do?

I am running off a disc first but i am going to do a dual boot with an xp machine or run it directly off a 16gb usb drive, any suggestions which way is best?

thank you

Just burned his ISO

yea your wireless is supported on bt4, secure_it is right...i think your issues is just a matter of syntax. make sure you type that command in correctly. it looks like all you need to do really after that is associate with an ap and you should be good. I think i might've had a similar issue but different hardware. all i had to do after i configured my card was give the command networkmanager start.