Thread: Restoring Xorg.conf

Default Restoring Xorg.conf

Hey guys,

After installing BT4 to the HD I tried installing the ATI Catalyst 9.1 driver but after running startx the keyboard and screen go idle. I installed the driver the same way I used to do it for BT3 and Slackware which was by simple running the installer w/ automatic configuration. Anyways, I was trying to get back the default configuration but it seems that the trick of copying xorg.conf-vesa to xorg.conf fails.

I notice that in the live cd xorg.conf is empty? From where is startx loading the configuration file then.

Thanks

Note: my video card model is on my signature.
    QuadCore AMD Phenon X4 9950, 2600 MHz
    8GB DDR2 800MHz
    Dual Boot System: Windows Server 2008 x64 w/ Hyper-V, Ubuntu 9.10 x64

I ran into the same problem as I have the ATI Radeon X1400. I gave up quickly and just reinstalled BT4b, as I didn't want to troubleshoot the issue.

As for the 9.1 Catalyst drivers, they won't work unless you set CONFIG_PCI_MSI=y in the config file for the kernel. Once you do that then you need to recompile the kernel.
    Code:
    # cat /usr/src/linux-sou*/.config |grep MSI
    CONFIG_ARCH_SUPPORTS_MSI=y
    # CONFIG_PCI_MSI is not set
    CONFIG_MSI_LAPTOP=m
    If you're going to use ATI proprietary drivers then I would suggest sticking with 8.11 or 8.12. They don't require a kernel recompile. But then again the xorg drivers work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by larryhaja View Post
    If you're going to use ATI proprietary drivers then I would suggest sticking with 8.11 or 8.12. They don't require a kernel recompile. But then again the xorg drivers work fine.
    Thanks for the advice. I kind of gave up too. I will try 8.12 after copying neccesary file from the BT4b Live CD. Nevertheless, I would really love to know how the folder /etc/X11/ works now that we are base on Ubuntu?

Update: I was able to restore xorg.conf by unistalling the ATI driver w/ the provided unistaller. I guess Ubuntu like xorg.conf to be empty??? I also tried 8.12 and once again it failed. Here the log:

Code:
    [Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
    [Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
    [Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
    AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
    doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
    rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.GCC* .??* *.symvers
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.28.1/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.28.1'
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘KCL_MEM_VM_GetRegionPhysAddrStr’:
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3221: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3222: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3223: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3225: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_agp.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.o
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.c: In function ‘KCL_DEBUG_Print’:
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.c:89: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.c: In function ‘__ke_printk’:
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.c:146: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_ioctl.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_io.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_pci.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_str.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_wait.o
      LD [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.o
      Building modules, stage 2.
      MODPOST 1 modules
      CC      /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.mod.o
      LD [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.28.1'
    build succeeded with return value 0
    duplicating results into driver repository...
    done.
    You must change your working directory to /lib/modules/fglrx
    and then call ./make_install.sh in order to install the built module.
    - recreating module dependency list
    - trying a sample load of the kernel modules
    failed.
    [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to install compiled kernel module - please consult readme.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    QuadCore AMD Phenon X4 9950, 2600 MHz
    8GB DDR2 800MHz
    Dual Boot System: Windows Server 2008 x64 w/ Hyper-V, Ubuntu 9.10 x64