Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT4 on VMWare, not network

Just burned his ISO

Default BT4 on VMWare, not network

I just installed BT4 on to hard drive (VMware). Everything seems fine except no network. There's no eth0 in /dev. So what's wrong?

The problem is you provided no info.

What vmware version
    What bt4 version (iso or vmware image)
    How the vm is setup
    Hardware
    What steps you took right from booting the vm

I'm not sure if its the same in the VMWare image, but I'm pretty sure networking is disabled by default.

Try this

Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking start

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsky View Post
    I just installed BT4 on to hard drive (VMware). Everything seems fine except no network. There's no eth0 in /dev. So what's wrong?
    What's the output of a ifconfig -a ?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by thunderwing View Post
    I'm not sure if its the same in the VMWare image, but I'm pretty sure networking is disabled by default.

Try this

Code:
    Cool. Had that problem too (VMWare image of BT4 with NAT) and that tiny little piece of code easily solved it
    I was starting to see the dhcp how-to's on VMWare image installation but this is really simple after all..
    Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by thunderwing View Post

Try this

Code:
    I dont know what this command means, but it perfectly solved my problem with the internet, thank you for that!I'm just curious is it possible and how if is, to make this without command?thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by venelino View Post
    I dont know what this command means, but it perfectly solved my problem with the internet, thank you for that!I'm just curious is it possible and how if is, to make this without command?thank you in advance.
    Seriously guys, do I have to write this command every time i log?Isn't there a way to make my net turned on by defaut? I've searched everywhere in the graphic menu, but i did not find anything Thank you in advance!

Just burned his ISO

I have this problem as well on both VMWare and my bootable flashdrive. I'm no expert, but typing "/etc/init.d/networking" followed by "start" turns the networking on. I have no problem typing a line or two every time I boot up but my only question is why is this not default?

Quote Originally Posted by Phe0n1x View Post
    I have this problem as well on both VMWare and my bootable flashdrive. I'm no expert, but typing "/etc/init.d/networking" followed by "start" turns the networking on. I have no problem typing a line or two every time I boot up but my only question is why is this not default?
    Well, it's a pentesting distrobution. Kinda makes it hard to be sneaky when your computer is announcing it's presence on the network wouldn't it.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Touche salesman, touche. That makes sense to me.

Is there as way to write a shell script that doesn't return "Permission Denied" with either
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
    or
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    dhclient

Quote Originally Posted by Phe0n1x View Post
    Touche salesman, touche. That makes sense to me.

Is there as way to write a shell script that doesn't return "Permission Denied" with either
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
    or
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    dhclient
    "sudo myleetnetworkscript.sh"
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast