Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to disable startup sound?

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Well, that sounds just way too easy. Let's do it the leet way through the command line.
    Well if you wanted to do it that way you would do a,

Code:
    vim /root/.kde3/share/config/knotify.eventsrc
    Then go down to,

Code:
    [startkde]
    commandline[$e]=
    logfile[$e]=
    presentation=2
    soundfile[$e]=PATH TO SOUND FILE HERE
    There's also a section for exitkde. Or just leave the line blank....
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Back in BT3 I just turned the volume down, created a module and tossed it in the modules directory. Things used to be so much simpler...ha ha ha. Just kidding, I really like the new direction.

Just burned his ISO

Could it get any easier than alsamixer... great tip...

Doublewood

Quote Originally Posted by Doublewood View Post
    Could it get any easier than alsamixer... great tip...

Doublewood
    Works a treat for those that use the cd without changes. I don't know why every one is doing all this convoluted crap when they are using changes or a real install.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Works a treat for those that use the cd without changes. I don't know why every one is doing all this convoluted crap when they are using changes or a real install.
    That is the way of ubuntu. 5,000 different ways to do something and then the OP of a given problem, still does not have a clue.
    At least that's what I got out of looking over the ubuntu forums a few times.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    That is the way of ubuntu. 5,000 different ways to do something and then the OP of a given problem, still does not have a clue.
    At least that's what I got out of looking over the ubuntu forums a few times.
    That's what you get when you make a distro that a Windows user can use. You have to put in a million ways to do something, and the end user still doesn't understand how the power button works.

That's what you get when you make a distro that a Windows user can use. You have to put in a million ways to do something, and the end user still doesn't understand how the power button works.
    Hey, I am using Windows too, sounds like I don't have a clue then.

But yeah it is true but also has to do with people nowadays want to be told what to do. Using the brain is hard work and so should be avoided. At all cost.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

That's exactly the way I felt when I left red hat 5 and switched to ubuntu. Thought it is the exact same thing as windows so one might as well use it.

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    But yeah it is true but also has to do with people nowadays want to be told what to do.
    Absolutely right about that.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    From the menu, open System > Settings > Sound & Multimedia > System Notifications.
    Then scroll down to "KDE is starting up" and deselect the box that says "Play a sound" under the Actions "portion of the window.
    Thanks. Simple once you know it. Works for the "flawless victory" as well, wich can be annoying if you haven't accomplished your goal before giving up for the day.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Sunsparc View Post
    The startup "Finish Him" sound gets annoying, particularly when you're in a quiet place, like a library. That sound blaring across the room basically screams "Im doing something attention-worthy".

Is there a way to get rid of the sound (without booting BT, preferrably) so that I can do my devious cracking in silence?

Forgot to mention that Im on a USB install of BackTrack 4 beta.
    Just simply enter this line before the startx command
    Code:
    amixer set Master mute

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123