Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to disable startup sound?

Just burned his ISO

You can use the rootcopy folder to overwrite the startup sound with an empty wav file.

and i believe the sound was located in /usr/share/sound

So i hope you used a rewritable or usb

Just burned his ISO

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Im booting off of a USB, so I'll probably just kill off ALSA on boot for now and find the sound file later.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Abbygail View Post
    You can use the rootcopy folder to overwrite the startup sound with an empty wav file.

and i believe the sound was located in /usr/share/sound

So i hope you used a rewritable or usb
    Can you describe how to do this?

Just burned his ISO

if /usr/share/sound is the correct folder then go into rootcopy (its BT4 directory)

Then make a folder called usr, inside that make share, inside that make sound, then place an empty sound file in it with the name of the start sound (i believe finishhim.wav)

And voila problem solved

Just burned his ISO

I like that startup sound ^^
    It was just a little bit to loud, so i typed alsamixer in the terminal and turned the vol. down

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Abbygail View Post
    if /usr/share/sound is the correct folder then go into rootcopy (its BT4 directory)

Then make a folder called usr, inside that make share, inside that make sound, then place an empty sound file in it with the name of the start sound (i believe finishhim.wav)

And voila problem solved
    Thanks Abbygail, that worked perfectly. The folder is \usr\share\sounds\ and the sound files I replaced are finishim.wav and flawless.wav (I didn't like the log off sound either).

Quote Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
    Thanks Abbygail, that worked perfectly. The folder is \usr\share\sounds\ and the sound files I replaced are finishim.wav and flawless.wav (I didn't like the log off sound either).
    Why not just turn off the sounds the correct way instead of deleting them? This is like removing NirSoftBlueScreenDriver.sys so your windows box can't blue screen.....
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Correct Barry!
    You can tweak almost everything in KDE control Center. Just have a look around there (System notifications) !!!
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Why not just turn off the sounds the correct way instead of deleting them? This is like removing NirSoftBlueScreenDriver.sys so your windows box can't blue screen.....
    Not sure if it has anything to do with the clientele (read ubuntu kids) but this seems to be a trend lately.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Well, that sounds just way too easy. Let's do it the leet way through the command line.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast