Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: How to disable startup sound?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default How to disable startup sound?

    The startup "Finish Him" sound gets annoying, particularly when you're in a quiet place, like a library. That sound blaring across the room basically screams "Im doing something attention-worthy".

    Is there a way to get rid of the sound (without booting BT, preferrably) so that I can do my devious cracking in silence?


    Forgot to mention that Im on a USB install of BackTrack 4 beta.

  2. #2
    Junior Member waxlrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsparc View Post
    The startup "Finish Him" sound gets annoying, particularly when you're in a quiet place, like a library. That sound blaring across the room basically screams "Im doing something attention-worthy".

    Is there a way to get rid of the sound (without booting BT, preferrably) so that I can do my devious cracking in silence?


    Forgot to mention that Im on a USB install of BackTrack 4 beta.
    One simple, first turn off the speakers than wardrive

  3. #3
    Member hawaii67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Is there a way to get rid of the sound
    Just google for it - it's a KDE feature and NOT a BT feature!!
    Or explore it by yourself - the KDE control center should have some kind of function, n'est-ce pas?
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default

    I was definitely surprised by the startup and shutdown mortal kombat sounds. Kind of ironic, considering that the motto is "the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
    "You shot who in the what now?"

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsparc View Post
    The startup "Finish Him" sound gets annoying, particularly when you're in a quiet place, like a library. That sound blaring across the room basically screams "Im doing something attention-worthy".
    Is there a way to get rid of the sound (without booting BT, preferrably) so that I can do my devious cracking in silence?
    If you are not doing anything illegal then you really should have nothing to worry about. If you are then maybe you should get caught.
    Quote Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
    I was definitely surprised by the startup and shutdown mortal kombat sounds. Kind of ironic, considering that the motto is "the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
    spacemonkey that quote really has nothing to do with startup sounds.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

  6. #6
    My life is this forum Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,817

    Default

    You can turn down the sound from the command line before you startx as well.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

  7. #7
    Member imported_Deathray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    381

    Default

    just plug in a pair of headphones and boot.. after that I believe the "kontrol center" or whatever it is called is the place to look to disable the startup sound.
    - Poul Wittig

  8. #8
    My life is this forum Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathray View Post
    just plug in a pair of headphones and boot.. after that I believe the "kontrol center" or whatever it is called is the place to look to disable the startup sound.
    Unless you're just booting a cd. Then alsamixer is your friend.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

  9. #9

    Default

    From the menu, open System > Settings > Sound & Multimedia > System Notifications.
    Then scroll down to "KDE is starting up" and deselect the box that says "Play a sound" under the Actions portion of the window.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    spacemonkey that quote really has nothing to do with startup sounds.
    I always understood that quote to represent the "stealth" philosophy of the distro. Having loud conspicuous game noises blaring on startup and shutdown seems contrary to that philosophy (just my $0.02).

    BTW this is not a big deal, just an annoyance. The sounds are cool (from an awesome game) but in my opinion not appropriate for BT.
    "You shot who in the what now?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •