Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eee-PC 1000HD

Quote Originally Posted by Jerror View Post
    Thanks for preserving the comment... It's already a Ubuntu kernel, Beta is for testing, Seriously any more opinions?

Any advice/information offered in these forums is to be used for the legal informational/professional/educational purposes for which it is intended.

I don't see "support" or "IMHO" listed there.
    I have a few, but the mods would frown on me.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Default Change resolution on eeepc

Quote Originally Posted by cr1spyj0nes View Post
    i found with my eeepc 1000hd that the screen resolution makes everything to big, is there any way to fix this, i cant fine resolution options the menu at all.
    You will need to edit the default mode listed in your Xorg /etc/xorg.conf
    It's not hard to find a how to on xorg.conf

My setups native mode is 1024x600 and with the external monitor attached you can configure much much higher resolutions with he external adapter by modifying the external display script that comes with the eeepc-acpi-utilities

Edit: maximum external res for the Intel GMA 950 set is 2048x1536 @ 75Hz.... not too shabby
    The person who never quits, is the person never defeated.

Default Where to get source...

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy_Kaos View Post
    This is done with apt-get, right???
    First download eeepc-acpi-scripts from a debian repo or sourceforge, for some reason the ubuntu repos dont have this verison listed. (dont install any other packages form the debian repo)

Then use apt-get to install:
    eeepc-acpi-utilities - version 1.0.18
    eeepc-config - version 1.3-7

For the linux-eeepc-lean kernel you need to add the eeepc repo from array.org for intrepid
    If you are worried you might screw something up- I recommend installing grub at this point as well. this will allow you to easily boot back to the previous kernel in case you have trouble or dont like it. You can use lilo too, but ubuntu helps you out when upgrading or changing kernel by adding the new kernel to your menu.lst, pretty frickin straightforward.

Now enjoy all the buttons on your eeepc similar to the way they were intended! including an external monitor port that will cycle through display modes (mine is set to 1280x1024 on a square lcd display.)

Plus all the other great stuff for the eeepc!

Just burned his ISO

Jerror, I have installed the lean kernel on my ubuntu before, and was wondering if it would fit well with bt; I am tri-booting and grub is already installed in my other buntu partition so I keep getting errors when installing eeepc-utilities and the lean kernel (because it wants to update grub).

Code:
    No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
                              Errors were encountered while processing:
     linux-image-2.6.27-8-eeepc
     linux-image-eeepc
    Did you reinstall grub from bt4?

EDIT: I removed the kernel completely then re-added the sources and got a succesfull install of the kernel (and headers), rebooted in ubuntu, added grub to BT partition, changed the menu.lst and updated grub.... Whatever i try in the grub entry, I either get a kernel panic or it loops back to grub. Some people are saying the kernel doesn't work (/forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=21618&highlight=eeepc-lean+bt4)..... But you give me hope! Im sure it's something n00bish that i cant see....

Working entry with original kernel:
    title BT4-BETA
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro vga=788 splash
    savedefault
    boot

Partitions are something like: eee900ha
    Ubuntu eeepc-lean kernel (sda6) (Grub folder here)
    bt4 (hd0,1/sda2)
    xp (hd0,0/sda1)

hey i try'd to add new repos and install the eeepc stuff but now when i hit startx i dont get kde i get some odd gray screen hw can i get back to kde?
    I would rather be hated for what i am,
    Then loved for what i am not.

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerror View Post
    Everything is in working order, injection works well with mad-wifi drivers included in bt4.

Usb and HD install check out nicely:

sound good
    touchpad good
    video good
    wifi good
    injection good

It's also helpful to install the eeepc-acpi-utilities, lxlauncher, and eeepc-acpi-scripts

This will assign useful shiz to your top four buttons on the eee-pc as well as offer knock down on the cpu clock to conserve power, adjust external monitors etc... Ive tried messin with my own xorg scripts, but these make it so easy, there is really no good reason not to use them. (at least for a base to work from)

If you want to do it through synaptic, you'll need to add:
    deb statux ubuntu intrepid main (cant post links - so look em up)
    and
    deb debian debian lenny main
    to your third party sources

*** you will need the 1.0.11 version of the eeepc-acpi-scripts which ARE NOT included in the ubuntu repos you will need to either install from source, download a deb or temporarily add a debian repo that has the 1.0.11version needed to use eeepc-acpi-utilities1.0.18 and eeepc-config1.3-7

I prefer crystal as a gui, withe the default acpi recipe
    hi jerror,
    when i read your post it s like you ve been able to get the wifi working "out fo the box"
    can you please tell me how you managed that?
    i havent been able to get the wifi working, even get the card up with bt4
    thxx for your help and your time
    best regards

Just burned his ISO

Have you tried:

Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
    from a terminal after or before startx?
    also, what eee model do you have, include that in your forum search, you will probably find something......

Just burned his ISO

hi done,
    sorry i can t post the link cause i am new user, i ve fixed the prob by installing manufacturers drivers from ratlink website.
    thxx for helping
    best regards
    nocomp

Hmm... I didn't have to install any other drivers,
    #ifconfig wlan0 up
    #iwconfig wlan0 essid essidgoeshere
    #dhclient wlan0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12