Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eee-PC 1000HD

Default Eee-PC 1000HD

Everything is in working order, injection works well with mad-wifi drivers included in bt4.

Usb and HD install check out nicely:

sound good
    touchpad good
    video good
    wifi good
    injection good

It's also helpful to install the eeepc-acpi-utilities, lxlauncher, and eeepc-acpi-scripts

This will assign useful shiz to your top four buttons on the eee-pc as well as offer knock down on the cpu clock to conserve power, adjust external monitors etc... Ive tried messin with my own xorg scripts, but these make it so easy, there is really no good reason not to use them. (at least for a base to work from)

If you want to do it through synaptic, you'll need to add:
    deb statux ubuntu intrepid main (cant post links - so look em up)
    and
    deb debian debian lenny main
    to your third party sources

*** you will need the 1.0.11 version of the eeepc-acpi-scripts which ARE NOT included in the ubuntu repos you will need to either install from source, download a deb or temporarily add a debian repo that has the 1.0.11version needed to use eeepc-acpi-utilities1.0.18 and eeepc-config1.3-7

I prefer crystal as a gui, withe the default acpi recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Jerror View Post
    It's also helpful to install the eeepc-acpi-utilities, lxlauncher, and eeepc-acpi-scripts
    This is done with apt-get, right???

Does anyone know how to apply those changes to the Live CD ??
    (I tryid using the old dir2lzm..... changes.lzm... and it didn't work... the file created crashed bt4... )

Open synaptic and install the following repo:

deb http : //w.w.w.array.org/ubuntu interepid eeepc

install the eeepc linux kernel, source, headers, etc. THE LITE VERSION (gets rid of Nvidia crap we dont need in our kernel as well as other desktop crap.

removed from /etc/rc2.d/
    S01policykit
    S10Xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    S20rsync

I considered removing the firewall and application shield, I think they are sort of useless anyways, but I decided to leave them.

download sysv-rc-conf tweak your startup for stuff you alwyas need and write scripts for the setups you like, ie disable postgresql at startup.
    leave networking off
    Start it if you need to via something like ifconfig ath0 up && dhclient
    Or apt-get wlassistant and use that instead of dhclient

Now for your origonal question:

I've been fartin' around with the acpi-support-base stuff but it's buggy as hell... give it a try if you wan't, the repo is deb http : //w.w.w.statux.org/ubuntu intrepid main.

Make sure you get the latest version of the eeepc acpi scripts, the ubuntu repos don't have it so you will need to download the source package from sourceforge or a debian repo.

I haven't spent a whole lot of time looking for alternatives or trying to get little buttons too work on my eeepc that I dont use frequently... however binding different external monitor resolutions to a hotkey is uber handy with an eeepc, I had everysingle button working once at like 3 am uving fewts scripts as a base and made a bunch of other changes afterwards and totally forked myself.

i found with my eeepc 1000hd that the screen resolution makes everything to big, is there any way to fix this, i cant fine resolution options the menu at all.

Open synaptic and install the following repo:

deb http : //w.w.w.array.org/ubuntu interepid eeepc

install the eeepc linux kernel, source, headers, etc. THE LITE VERSION (gets rid of Nvidia crap we dont need in our kernel as well as other desktop crap.
    So you're removing the kernel that the RE guys have tweaked for BT to install an eee specific kernel? Why don't you just install Ubuntu and then the backtrack apps from the ubuntu repositories?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Yeah, with an eee im looking to squeeze it as much as I can for efficiency, the lil' thing only has a 900MHz CPU that only clocks to about 850Mhz with the standard bt4 kernel, and it stays there static.

Generic ubuntu kernel and then download the apps? Really?

With the kernel im suggesting and the scripts it will adapt to consumption need from 900-333Mhz which is both better performance and much longer battery life, not to mention the full functionality of ACPI functions on the eee like being able to use all of the buttons on my laptop.

Update, The Eee-PC 1000HD is uber aggressive on the spin down cycle for the internal hard drive, it's cycling a few hundred times a day. I intend to seek out a fix, but I'm not going to have time for a while. Maybe someone else can post this fix.

Yeah, with an eee im looking to squeeze it as much as I can for efficiency, the lil' thing only has a 900MHz CPU that only clocks to about 850Mhz with the standard bt4 kernel, and it stays there static.

Generic ubuntu kernel and then download the apps? Really?

With the kernel im suggesting and the scripts it will adapt to consumption need from 900-333Mhz which is both better performance and much longer battery life, not to mention the full functionality of ACPI functions on the eee like being able to use all of the buttons on my laptop.

Update, The Eee-PC 1000HD is uber aggressive on the spin down cycle for the internal hard drive, it's cycling a few hundred times a day. I intend to seek out a fix, but I'm not going to have time for a while. Maybe someone else can post this fix.

Where did I say generic Ubuntu kernel? All I'm saying is the RE guys have tweaked the BackTrack kernel for the apps installed. Installing the eee kernel wipes their changes out. As for installing the apps, sure, most of them are in the standard Ubuntu repos.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    So you're removing the kernel that the RE guys have tweaked for BT to install an eee specific kernel? Why don't you just install Ubuntu and then the backtrack apps from the ubuntu repositories?
    There is a lot added to BT4 for compatibility. Tweaked the kernel for the apps? Dude... how are apps going to run better on a generic kernel "tweaked" for compatibility vs a custom kernel for a specific set of hardware. Have you tried the eeepc kernel?

That is like saying Pentoo runs better than a custom install of Gentoo.

Update on observations of the custom lite eeepc kernel:

+Improved WiFi throughput and signal quality over the mad-wifi drivers for the ath5007 set- about 13% (device is listed as wlan0)
    +Native Ethernet port actually works (eth0)
    +Tested injection and monitor with mad-wifi drivers and everything checks out.
    +Battery life almost doubled (running with the throttle and normal usage got about 2hours with 38% battery remaining.)
    +Toggle button configured for high res external display works like a charm. Rather than being stuck in 800x600 or the 315 VESA mode.
    +CPU clock adjusts properly to 900MHz when plugged in, throttle as low as 337MHz when on battery power.
    +Fan adjusts to match CPU power consumption

I think I might get what you are saying, about doing a base install and updating from the repos... I dont see how this differs tho, plus it gives me the option of which kernel I want to use this way....

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Nice to see you changed your post and removed the dribble about Barry's opinion and the Cheer-leader bit.
    Also there is nothing wrong with what you are doing to your equipment however the problem comes when someone else follows this advice and then has a "ubuntu" kernel and expects help from the BT forums.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Thanks for preserving the comment... It's already a Ubuntu kernel, Beta is for testing, Seriously any more opinions?

Any advice/information offered in these forums is to be used for the legal informational/professional/educational purposes for which it is intended.

I don't see "support" or "IMHO" listed there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast