Thread: Wanted to introduce myself...

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Wanted to introduce myself...

I've been reading the forums for a long time, but have never posted. I decided that its timet to become an active member of this great community. I also wrote up a little bash script and wouldn't mind posting for the community. However, I cannot post in the programming area of the board. It isn't anything special, but I think some people may find it useful. It is basically an automated way of upgrading the kernel and then the rt73 driver. I was inspired to write it since I will most likely be using the live distribution more often than my persistant install due to the issues with the latest Aircrack-ng updates and SpoonWEP2. Anyway, I'd love to post it if anyone is interested. Thanks for all that contribute to the BackTrack development.

Good friend of the forums

just post it here as code?

Read the posts around the forums about new members etc, you'll be able to post to programming soon enough.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by weasek View Post
    I've been reading the forums for a long time, but have never posted. I decided that its timet to become an active member of this great community. I also wrote up a little bash script and wouldn't mind posting for the community. However, I cannot post in the programming area of the board. It isn't anything special, but I think some people may find it useful. It is basically an automated way of upgrading the kernel and then the rt73 driver. I was inspired to write it since I will most likely be using the live distribution more often than my persistant install due to the issues with the latest Aircrack-ng updates and SpoonWEP2. Anyway, I'd love to post it if anyone is interested. Thanks for all that contribute to the BackTrack development.
    Post it anyway

I'll move it along....

Just burned his ISO

Read the posts around the forums about new members etc, you'll be able to post to programming soon enough.
    I did notice that after posting...sorry.

Post it anyway

I'll move it along....
    If you wouldn't mind...that way this is all in one thread. Thanks in advance.

I do have to say that this is my first script, so be easy on me. I am open to any constructive criticism. Known issues: does not remove temporary directory after issuing "rm -r rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.2" in the script, but it will remove the directory if you type that after the script has run. Also, I would like to implement "ifconfig rausb0 up" to the end of the script, but it does not seem to run until the card has been pulled and re-inserted into the computer. Any advice how to make this script better is welcome.

I have uploaded everything needed to run the script in order to simplify things for new users. I hope you all enjoy.

Package details and contents:
    kernel.lzm
    rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.2.tar.bz2
    rt73autoupdate.sh
    packaged as "rt73autoupdate.tgz"
    processing...
    MD5(/Users/wc/Desktop/rt73autoupdate/rt73autoupdate.tgz)= 6ab5e1c9eb43a0a3315bfa6b98daf65c
    ~62MB

ht*p://*ww.megaupload.com/?d=SDNHNPQ0

Default script - where is it

Hey

type
    <code>
    paste in your script
    type </code>

We'll have a look at it for you but we need to see it to help. A list of filenames isn't self-evident.

We'll look but we're busy.
    Lux sit

Quote Originally Posted by weasek View Post
    I did notice that after posting...sorry.

If you wouldn't mind...that way this is all in one thread. Thanks in advance.

I do have to say that this is my first script, so be easy on me. I am open to any constructive criticism. Known issues: does not remove temporary directory after issuing "rm -r rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.2" in the script, but it will remove the directory if you type that after the script has run. Also, I would like to implement "ifconfig rausb0 up" to the end of the script, but it does not seem to run until the card has been pulled and re-inserted into the computer. Any advice how to make this script better is welcome.

I have uploaded everything needed to run the script in order to simplify things for new users. I hope you all enjoy.

Package details and contents:
    kernel.lzm
    rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.2.tar.bz2
    rt73autoupdate.sh
    packaged as "rt73autoupdate.tgz"
    processing...
    MD5(/Users/wc/Desktop/rt73autoupdate/rt73autoupdate.tgz)= 6ab5e1c9eb43a0a3315bfa6b98daf65c
    ~62MB

ht*p://*ww.megaupload.com/?d=SDNHNPQ0
    Hmm, I added to this, or a similar thread (?), that it would be a better idea to actually document your work, rather than just paste module links.
    I was sure I'd put that in this post

Anyway, yes, please document your findings for everyone

Just burned his ISO

In case anyone still needs the source here it is for everyone. Nothing fancy here, but like I said....I'm new to bash scripting.

#!/bin/bash
    # declare STRING1 variable
    STRING1="Preparing to update Kernel and update rt73 driver to version 3.0.2...
    Please be patient while the Kernel is being updated. There will be a long period of no activity, followed by a lot of junk scrolling, followed by some brief instructions at the end of the update process. I think I've rambled on long enough. Just trying to give you something to do while you wait.... -Weasek"
    #print variable on a screen
    echo $STRING1
    lzm2dir kernel.lzm /
    ifconfig rausb0 down
    modprobe -r rt73
    tar -xjf rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.2.tar.bz2
    cd rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.2/Module
    make
    make install
    rm -r rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.2
    #!/bin/bash
    #declare STRING2 variable