Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NetworkManager

Just burned his ISO

I've followed the instructions to start networking and still getting Network Manager Is Not Running. =/ I'm going to continue researching, but looks like there might be more to it than just not starting the networking. I'm running the VMWare with an Alfa card and I can see the Alfa from the console, but just not through Network Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexicant View Post
    I've followed the instructions to start networking and still getting Network Manager Is Not Running. =/ I'm going to continue researching, but looks like there might be more to it than just not starting the networking. I'm running the VMWare with an Alfa card and I can see the Alfa from the console, but just not through Network Manager.
    Networking and NetworkManager are two different things. Did you start them both?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

yep, issued the networking start command, it ran through it's thing, NetManager was already running so shut it down then restarted it from the menu. I tried the same from the ISO and getting the same results. Somewhere I think I've got to be missing something because other people have already reported the Inspiron 6400 as working. I'll keep plugging away at it.

don't feel too bad - i just got a new Acer Aspire One and I can't seem to get anything on it working, including the networking/NetworkManager apps

Just burned his ISO

I'll go ahead and display some of my ignorance here. Evidently, not only do you have to issue:

/etc/init.d/networking start

you must also issue:

/etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

starting the program from the menu is not good enough, I suppose it's only a gui front end to whatever it is you're starting from the command line? Anyway, after doing both of those it is working fine, incidently I didn't have to start Net Manager from the menu this time, it was already there when I started KDE after issuing the NetworkManager start command.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexicant View Post
    I'll go ahead and display some of my ignorance here. Evidently, not only do you have to issue:

/etc/init.d/networking start

you must also issue:

starting the program from the menu is not good enough, I suppose it's only a gui front end to whatever it is you're starting from the command line? Anyway, after doing both of those it is working fine, incidently I didn't have to start Net Manager from the menu this time, it was already there when I started KDE after issuing the NetworkManager start command.
    That's what I said! Glad you got it working though.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

I realized that after the fact I thought you were talking about loading the Network Manager from the programs menu, which I erroneously thought would load the service. Ha! Guess that's what I get for ass-uming. Thanks for the patience though!

i am kind of noob and i can't connect using knetwork manager.. I cant connect to wpa
    I have an RTL8187b wireless card

Code:
    And the globe stays green. I create a new connection with everything, and it starts trying to connect (globe disappear and appear another thing)... But it cant connect, the other thing that substitutes the globe stays there, but it stop trying to connect a (Device: wlan0 state: Disconnected).

Just burned his ISO

Had the same thing.

Try "modprobe -r"ing your driver then reloading it. That worked for me with my 036H

Mexicant:
    I have done like you said.
    Code:
    modprobe -r rtl8187
    modprobe rtl8187
    And the driver has been reloaded, but after reload the driver i can't find any network.... And before reloading it i find my network.

After reload
    Code:
    iwlist wlan0 scan
    wlan0      No scan results
    Any one know why this happens?

(by the way why do i have to issue "/etc/init.d/networking start" if this comment trys to connect by the eth0 (wired) and i wont to connet wlan0 ?)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12