Thread: Booting BT4 with GRUB4DOS on an Usbstick

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Booting BT4 with GRUB4DOS on an Usbstick

Hello everyone, i'm reallyreally new here

I'm posting cause my laptop (Dell x300) is really a dickhead and seems to not like syslinux bootsystem; i can't understand why at the moment, the BIOS is the last released (from 2007! yeah well.. not the latest laptop), so nothing that can update the old boot-system

Said that, testing and trying, i've discovered that GRUB4DOS actually works like a charm on it, so i just wanted to make BT4 boot with it

Here comes the problem, grub4dos is correctly installed on my pendrive, my menu.lst looks as following:
    Code:
    default 0
    timeout 5

title BT4 Console
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 vga=791 rw
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz
    Everything looks fine, but the loading gets stuck on-
    looking for 'BT4' data directory

I lurked a little on the forum and already tried adding "changes=/dev/sda1" on my kernel line, but it isn't working...

PS: for whoever wonders, actually the files are there in /dev/sda1, i can even mount the partition after the booting system failed finding those files!

Just burned his ISO

default 0

timeout 5

title BT4 Console
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=6666 vga=791 root=/dev/ram0 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz rw
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz
    boot

Try it by adding initrd=/boot/initrd.gz. as above , that got me past where your hanging.

Just burned his ISO

just for an update, i'm still failing at let BT4/Slax boot with grub/grub4dos

..BUT! I've succeeded starting it with my dell x300 laptop, it's an issue with the BIOS (latest A10), instead of pushing the boot selection key, set the USB device as FIRST in boot list, and syslinux works like a charm.

will bump the thread if i success in changing bootloader