Thread: VMWare image hgfs (shared folders)

Just burned his ISO

Default [FIX] VMWare image hgfs (shared folders)

I'm using:
    VMWare Workstation 6.5.1 build 126130.
    BT4 VMWare Image bt4-beta-vm-6.5.1.rar.
    Windows Vista SP1 completely patched.

To reproduce the issue:
    1) Enable "Shared Folders" in VM Options, add a dir named "shared".
    2) Load a virtual machine
    3) Go to /mnt/hgfs -----> see nothing (empty dir, but supposed to contain the dir named "shared")
    4) Run vmware-hgfsclient, it says the only dir name "shared" (that's correct).
    5) Run mount.hgfs .host:/ /mnt/hgfs/ -----> Error: cannot mount filesystem: No such device
    6) Run lsmod | grep vm ----> no vmhgfs module loaded
    7) Run vmware-config-tools.pl to rebuild VMWare Tools. When it gets to the hgfs module it shows an error saying "/tmp/vmware-config0/vmhgfs-only/page.c:88: error: unknown field 'prepare_wirte' specified in initializer ... skipped... Unable to build the vmhgfs module."

As result no shared folders support What did i do wrong?

This has nothing to do with backtrack, you should seek support from vmware forums and what not to address the issue. It has been the same issue apparently with linux being setup as guests with vmware client regardless of distro.

Furthermore, there is no big deal about it, you can always setup stuff like httpd/ftpd daemon on the host side and make the client connect to it.

Just burned his ISO

There is a known bug in page.c in the last version of VMWare tools :

Maybe try Open VM Tools as they have corrected that in a new version 2 days ago :
    hxxp://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?group_id=204462&release_id=662222

modules/linux/vmhgfs/compat_pagemap.h, modules/linux/vmhgfs/page.c:
    fix warning, and compatibility changes for newer Linux kernels (2.6.28.1 and newer; bug #2530616)
    Didn't try myself

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    Furthermore, there is no big deal about it, you can always setup stuff like httpd/ftpd daemon on the host side and make the client connect to it.
    It is a big deal because i don't want to run additional services in a pretty aggressive environment during pentest
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrax View Post
    There is a known bug in page.c in the last version of VMWare tools :

Maybe try Open VM Tools as they have corrected that in a new version 2 days ago :
    hxxp://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?group_id=204462&release_id=662222

Didn't try myself
    So, thanks. Problem solved. Spent 4 hours to compile it:
    1) Get the tarball of open-vm-tools from sourceforge (ubuntu repos holds old version)
    2) Get the tarball of the latest glib from hxxp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/glib/2.6/ because open-vm-tools require it, but ubuntu repos still hold outdated version.
    3) Install glib (./configure && make && make install)
    4) Satisfy dependencies of open-vm-tools (i finished with ./configure --without-dnet --without-x --without-unity && make && make install). Also lots of lib***-dev required, i had to switch current repo to "jaunty" release.
    5) Reboot and run
    Code:
    mount -t vmhgfs .host:/ /mnt/hgfs/
    P.S. Started to hate linux