Thread: BT3 or BT4 ?

Exclamation BT3 or BT4 ?

Hi guys,

I really need your opinions over which release is better to stick to.

Soon I have to start with my uni project which is based on wireless penetration testing and wireless security.

I have a laptop and I have installed Backtrack 3 under Virtual Box. Almost everything works except I haven't yet tested my wireless USB card which is an ALFA AWUS036H based on rtl8187l chipset.

What do you really suggest me to use?

Is it worth to wait until BT4 stable version comes out then I can just stick to that?

I want to hear your opinions!

Thank you very much!

4 is the latest... better all around support.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

I'd stick with 3 for now. Almost all issues are well documented. Better rtl8187 driver as well. BT4 is also a distro shift and is beta so it will be quite a while before the wrinkles are ironed out.

new 2.6.28 kernel shutdown better the harddisk on my laptop (acer 5920g)

with bt3 kernel the HD have some problem, when halt make bad noise :-( , (like as cut the power on usb hd) , and i think have a better support for a lot of HW
    acer 5920g , 345abg , nvidia 8600m
    bt5 kde 64bit + acpi + cuda 4.0 / nvidia 270.40 / pyrit

Thanks for your suggestions.

I wait until the stable release of BT4 comes out and then I will stick to it.

I'm sorry for bringing up such an old thread but I just thought my opinion would be of value to the initial poster.

I have subscribed to hackersforcharity.org and therefore had the priviledge of testing the pre Final of backtrack4 (which is the final version openend to a limited user group)

I too am involved in school-projects concerning Wirelss Security and Pentesting...

I use the iwl3945 chipset and have to tell you that in backtrack3 almost everything works perfect and smooth.

When I do the same procedure on backtrack4 (since there has been so many major changes doing the "same" procedure is actually something quite different) it doesn't quite work as I want it to (yet.. )

My point is:
    Backtrack3 has been out for so long, and many bugs have been fixed. Wireless capabilities are incredible! (Thx guys!).

For Backtrack4 pre final I am still trying to get all the attacks to work.

So far they don't (I have 3 non-used routers to test on (all set to use WEP) , in bt3 -> all cracked in 3 minutes, in bt4 -> still nothing achieved yet)

So if your project is important for your graduation or whatever I'd suggest using backtrack3 rather than waiting for the "all-new" bt4 and get dissapointed if things don't work out.