Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BT4 triple boot Help....

Default BT4 triple boot Help....

Hello Frnz ....
    well i m newbie like many out here and i recently came to know about backtrack 4 and itz awsome features... like every kid i also gets fantasized..and i now really want to test bt4 against my HDD installation
    i have read all tutz and how to's here and other places just to successfully install bt ending up maself in loop of confusion...so i need ur help .

First my lappy config....
    Acer Aspire 4530
    AMD64 processor..
    nvidia gcard..
    180GB HDD
    and blah blah....

My HDD config..
    device boot start end blocks id system
    /dev/sda1 * 1 2550 20482843+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 5100 19455 115314570 f w95/Ext'd(LBA)
    /dev/sda5 5100 10198 40957686 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda6 10199 14660 35840983+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda7 14661 19455 38514688 7 HPFS/NTFS

these results came after commands fdisk -l

now as it is evident that sda1 is my default windows partition of 20GB
    i dont wanna touch that.....
    sda5, sda6 and sda7 contains my data and other stuffs so wont touch them either.... the only remaining is sda2 which is sda2 which is some win 95 partition ...but i left it as unallocated during my windows installation... it is of 20 GB

NOW out of those 20 GB i want 10 GB for BT4 and 10 GB for Ubuntu

i know ubuntu is pretty smart in findind space in HDD so it can make room for itself from those 20 GB but what about BT ...thats y i want to install BT first then Ubuntu in the remaining spaces so that i hav triple boot....

i also wanna know if is it possible to place their boot loader in there respective partition without touching the original partition ....if not how to include all in grub ...

I hope this is xplainatory becuz i need help ..for the last 3 days i am on hold becuz every newcommer shud wait for 3 days ...

so can i expect any help from u guys ...

i will b really thankfull to u... ..

Maybe you should startz to writez in a pr0per way.

How much experience do you have with linux so far?

From your post I guess not that much.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Maybe you should startz to writez in a pr0per way.

How much experience do you have with linux so far?

From your post I guess not that much.
    YUP not much experience in linux ...thats y i mentioned in the very beginning i am a newbie.... having said that i gathered lots of knoledge from here and there in a cluttered a way need a compilation i guess..... moreover wen u dont hav anyone one to help out internet and communities like this where i look to get help....

So what is the PROPER way to write i guess i hav to lean english..is it... i mean i gave all the information that is relevant here.... is somthin else i hav mention..reply plz

waitin...

Quote Originally Posted by joshiley View Post
    YUP not much experience in linux ...thats y i mentioned in the very beginning i am a newbie.... having said that i gathered lots of knoledge from here and there in a cluttered a way need a compilation i guess..... moreover wen u dont hav anyone one to help out internet and communities like this where i look to get help....

So what is the PROPER way to write i guess i hav to lean english..is it... i mean i gave all the information that is relevant here.... is somthin else i hav mention..reply plz

waitin...
    Just try to write in a normal way without all the z's and so on

What is your intention of using BT?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Moreover everybody has to start someday or somwhere ...Sooner or later...regarding my problem...welll i only feared about my data which over 100 Gb and i hav no place to BAckup .......
    prior to this i hav only used ubuntu which has pretty cool partitioner ... and u dont hav to b a rocket scientist to do that but in BT .... itz all basics... though i hav understood the basics of partions and all learned few commands as wel (ofcourse from internet )

i wish this forum is helpful...

HAHAHA .. so itz all " ZZZ" bothering u dont mind jus a disease i caught due to 6 months of chatting... ..

hmmm intention for using BT.. good question....
    " Exploring and learning " i hav learned shell scripting and in persuit of leaning ubuntu and it features ... now BT is also in the list .....

and its not strange to FALL IN LOVE WITH BT ..THIS VALENTINE...

Well a disease can be cured
    If you want to be taken serious you should get rid of all the "chat slang". It is not the way some talks if he wants to be taken serious and not being stamped as a script kiddie.

Well, you seem to search for knowledge and that is a good way. But to give you some honest and well meant advice: use the spare 20 GB to create another windows partition. Get VMWare and use the 20GB to create a VM. In that VM install Ubuntu and play around with it. If you are feeling comfortable with it, go to visit this site and get that running in the VMWare. It will teach you so much about Linux. When you worked your way through that, then you can start using BT.

BT is way to distracting if you still need to learn the basics.

If you need further help let me know. I will assist you during your learning if you want.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Well a disease can be cured
    If you want to be taken serious you should get rid of all the "chat slang". It is not the way some talks if he wants to be taken serious and not being stamped as a script kiddie.

Well, you seem to search for knowledge and that is a good way. But to give you some honest and well meant advice: use the spare 20 GB to create another windows partition. Get VMWare and use the 20GB to create a VM. In that VM install Ubuntu and play around with it. If you are feeling comfortable with it, go to visit link and get that running in the VMWare. It will teach you so much about Linux. When you worked your way through that, then you can start using BT.

BT is way to distracting if you still need to learn the basics.

If you need further help let me know. I will assist you during your learning if you want.

YUP true.....I will take care of that from next time....will use proper english ..
    regarding VMware i already hav VMware installed and infact i practised the partitioning thing in VMware ..the only problem wen i run VMware is i only have 1 GB RAM so it just stucks there....

and from all of linux distros i used ubuntu most around six months i am pretty confident in handling ubuntu ......

..the link u gave is good and i will surely go through it.....

so is there any other way out with that partitioning thing...

You could use qtparted from a livecd to have a gui for doing the partitioning.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

There is a number of very good reasons to write in proper english and not leetspeak, IM, txt chat etc.
    This forum is viewed and used by people of all nationalities and language abilities. If you want to get have the potential of getting help from all of the forum members rather than just the ones that are native english speaking, then it makes sense to use as close to proper english as you can.

Although english is the language of this forum, it is not the native language of a vast proportion of this community.

Anything that makes your post harder to read is also likely to make people not even bother reading it, or even bothering to reply as a result of that.

When someone searches for a problem that has been covered in this thread, as you have used leet/IM/txt/whatever this thread will not show up in the results and they will be left without an answer.

There are plenty more reasons, but those should be enough for anybody.

People are not just moaning about it for no reason or just to be picky, as you can see there are very good reasons behind it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast