Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bt4 dual boot tutorial

Developer

Default Bt4 dual boot tutorial

This is Courtesy of RBG and I am just posting it for him:
    The following are the line by line details of how I installed Backtrack 4 beta as a dual boot with windows Vista. I have a dell tablet XT, and my hard drive was hda.

The first thing you need to do is make sure it isn't mounted by doing

Code:
    mount
    if it is mounted then unmount it using the umount command. then we need to resize the hard drive to make room for backtrack 4.

Code:
    qtparted
    I have an 80GB drive in this computer so I gave 53.5 to windows and 22 to backtrack. Once you resize the drive and commit the partitions you will be back at a prompt. If the command line now tells you the partitions were in use then please reboot your computer and go form there if not, we are going to fdisk now to create room.

Code:
    fdisk /dev/hda
    now if you are reading this tutorial, you are not familiar with linux and I am not going to explain it all, but we are making 3 partitions, the boot loader for lilo, the swap partition then the rest of the area will be for the install and saving changes to type in...

Code:
    n #new
    p #primary partition
    2 #the partition id
    [enter] #signifies to start at the default value
    +64M  #the size of partition 2
    done, now the swap

Code:
    n #new
    p #primary partition
    3 #the partition id
    [enter]  #signifies to start at the default value
    +2048M   #the size of swap, I use the same size as ram in my computer you can choose anything
    and now the last partition...

Code:
    n #new
    p #primary partition
    4 #the partition id  (if it did not auto choose 4 since it is the last partition left...)
    [enter] #signifies to start at the default value
    [enter] #signifies default rest of the drive.
    now we are going to set the partition types...

Code:
    t
    82   #says it is a swap
    and no for the boot loader

Code:
    a
    if you would like a quick print out to make sure you are not deleting your windows install use the p command, if you are confident it is all set, then pray to the god of your choosing and press w [enter] to start to partition.

Now we need to format the partitions...

Code:
    mke2fs /dev/hda2
    mkswap /dev/hda3
    swapon /dev/hda3 #enable the swap
    mkreiserfs /dev/hda4
    and now we do the install...

Code:
    mkdir /mnt/bt
    mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/bt/
    mkdir /mnt/bt/boot
    mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/bt/boot
    cp --preserve -R /{bin,dev,home,pentest,root,usr,boot,etc,lib,opt,sbin,var} /mnt/bt/
    mkdir /mnt/bt/{mnt,tmp,proc,sys}
    chmod 1777 /mnt/bt/tmp/
    mount -t proc proc /mnt/bt/proc
    mount -o bind /dev /mnt/bt/dev/
    ok and lastly we need to modify lilo to see that you have a dual boot...

Code:
    chroot /mnt/bt/ /bin/bash
    nano /etc/lilo.conf
    this is what my lilo currently looks like...

Code:
    lba32 #this...
    boot=/dev/hda
    change-rules
    reset
    prompt
    timeout=50
    root=/dev/hda4
    image=/boot/vmlinuz 
                label="BT4"

read-only
                initrd=/boot/splash.initrd
                append=quiet

other=/dev/hda1
    label=Windoze_Vista
    table=/dev/hda
    and now, you just need to remove any junk out of fstab, so it doesnt try to mount everything including the dog when it boots up, verify lilo

Code:
    /dev/hda4 / reiserfs defaults 0 0 # AutoUpdate
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 # AutoUpdate
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0 # AutoUpdate
    devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0 # AutoUpdate
    tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0 # AutoUpdate
    Code:
    lilo -v
    you should see a message saying adding bt4 and no errors here then you want to reboot, and you should now be working on a dual boot machine.

Code:
    exit
    reboot

Just burned his ISO

hate, i know you didnt write this tut, but i'm hoping you'll be able to help me out. everything works fine as far as being able to boot windows and bt4. heres my setup:
    two hard drives.
    hard drive one is sda with two partiotions, sda1 and sda2 respectively.
    sda1 has the windows operating system
    sda2 has files and applications

hard drive 2 is sdb and has 4 partitions
    sdb1 an ntfs partition
    sdb2 the bt4 boot partition
    sdb3 the linux swap
    sdb4 bt4 partition

the problem im having is that when i boot into windows, sda2 is showing as a hidden partition. i tried using a disk utility and unhide (unhid?) it, but whenerver i reboot it comes back as hidden. after that i backed up the data from the drive, formatted the partition, deleted, then recreated the partition. even after this though it shows up as a hidden partiton. using fdisk to glean a little more info, it also shows up as a hidden ntfs partition....any ideas whats going on here? could lilo be setting the partition as hidden when booting?

Just burned his ISO

thanks a lot :-)

Just burned his ISO

ok, i was able to sort out the hidden partition problem and now everything is working great. here is what i did

edited lilo.conf to include the following line
    Code:
    # Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table
    change-rules
    reset
    and since i was using 2 hard drives for the install i changed the following in lilo.conf
    Code:
    boot=/dev/sdb
    to

Code:
    boot=/dev/sda
    before writing the changes to lilo i used fdisk to change the id of the hidden partition

Code:
    fdisk /dev/sda/

t
    2 (to select the hidden partition sda2)
    7 (set to ntfs)
    w (to write the changes)
    then wrote the changes to lilo
    Code:
    lilo -v
    and rebooted, all seems to be well now

Default EISA partition

I am trying to install BT4b on a Fujitsu U820 (w/Vista), and while the install tutorial is very straightforward, I have a problem with having the room to make 3 new primary partitions. In my machine as is, there is the main partition, but then a 1.5G EISA partition. In the vista Disk Management util, it didn't show up as a primary, so I thought I could safely create the three other partitions, however, when I get to fdisk, it IS counted as the first primary.

I did try to make an extended partition, into which I created the three others, making both the extended partition and boot partition as bootable, and although the loader worked ok, I immediately got a kernel panic once I selected BT4. (I did also try not making the extended partition bootable, but there was no change.)

Does anyone have solid information on the importance of the EISA partition? I've read it's basically just recovery data, might I be able to somehow transfer it to a USB to use if needed? Thanks so much.

Just burned his ISO

@ custode i had a similar problem with a recovery partition. the only way i could manage it was to completely wipe the disk then start again. otherwise my vista partition sat right in the middle of free space

Perhaps in the final the standard ubuntu installer can be used, which can then just use the largest free space...when I install nUbuntu this way I have no problems at all having the dual boot, even with vista and the EISA partition.

Just burned his ISO

when i give the command lilo -v
    i get an error lilo is not installed . it throws a command and tells how to install lilo
    i do that and still it does not get installed

OKay, the tutorial is excellent. I do have a problem, everything goes well until I edit lilo.conf. I have to use kate, for some reason, using up and down arrows, as well as backspace, in vi, does some odd things. Anyway, I edit lilo.conf:
    Code:
    lba32 
    boot=/dev/sda
    change-rules
    reset
    prompt
    timeout=50
    root=/dev/sda4
    image=/boot/vmlinuz 
                label="BT4"

read-only
                initrd=/boot/splash.initrd
                append=quiet

other=/dev/sda1
    label=Windows
    table=/dev/sda

I run lilo -v, reboot, and get a kernel panic. not sure whats going on, I think it has something to do with my partitions. I go back with my Windows cd, and rewrite the mbr, and I get invalid partition. Seems it completely hoses my partition table some how. I had a similar problem with BT3, but that was on a completely different computer,
    any thoughts?

Helpful Info:

Asus D50vi
    300GB Sata
    4GB Ram
    Nvidia 9300
    Intel Wifi link 5100

I'm in a similar boat (my panic gives: not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,20) ), and I have a feeling it's related to where on the disk the partitions reside (could be totally off)...I have a system in which the first 1.5G is unallocated (due to a deleted EISA partition I cannot absorb into the main partition), then the vista partition, then 5.5G of unallocated space in which I build the BT partitions...but I too get the kernel panic. I'm going to try to make the boot partition inside that first 1.5 piece, and the swap and boot in the 5.5...but since my assumptions could be totally useless, this may not yield anything.

One other observation though is that when I do boot from usb, it assigns /dev/sda to the usb, and /dev/sdb to the HDD...so when I edit lilo, I'm telling it to look in sdb for root and boot, but then when I do boot to disk, I'm guessing it looks for sda...so perhaps that has something to do with it.

oh yeah...so I have a machine without a disc drive, so my solution to getting up and running after these problems is to boot via USB to nUbuntu and then install to HDD...it installs fine, and then uses GRUB to boot, and all is well.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast