Thread: Services?

Default Services?

I hope this is not too n00b question, but in BT3 there was a service folder and if you wanted to start apache, beef, tftp, or somethins you have just clicke. But now i dons know how to start any of them, I`m really ashamed to ask this, but anyway, how to start any of them(apach, tftp, beef,..).

Tr00G33k

I m fixing the menu.wait for that.within 1 or 2 days I will post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tr00g33k View Post
    I hope this is not too n00b question, but in BT3 there was a service folder and if you wanted to start apache, beef, tftp, or somethins you have just clicke. But now i dons know how to start any of them, I`m really ashamed to ask this, but anyway, how to start any of them(apach, tftp, beef,..).

Tr00G33k
    Then you shouldn't use BT. These are linux basics and if you lack them BT is the wrong point to start. You should go ahead and learn the basics before playing around with automated tools. I will help you to start at the right point if you want to, just let me know.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Check out /etc/init.d/ and read up on services in Ubuntu.

I`m sorry, if i gave the wrong impression but I`m not really such a n00b, I konw programiing in C(quite good), C#(little), html,...and few others a little. I know few thing about internet too, after all I`m about to work with computers all my life(I`m in computing and electonic secondary school). And maybe BT after all isnt such a bad start, because you can do with it amazing things.But really, you got that wright I`m quite new at linux, so please give me some directions in Linux, it would be greatful. That I wont spam here, maybe you can send me some PM. I would really like to master the linux, so sure any tips are wormmly welcome.

Tr00G33k

Just burned his ISO

Default Mentor. Don't Discourage.

I wish that everytime I looked at one of these threads I wouldn't see a senior member discouraging BT users to go learn on another flavor of linux before messing with BT. Learning is learning. It doesn't really matter where you learn it. I would also venture to say that these very people who hold the knowledge were helped along by someone in the beginning, otherwise they wouldn't be in the position they're in now. Save the handfed argument because everyone was handfed at some point in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by tonywiggins View Post
    I wish that everytime I looked at one of these threads I wouldn't see a senior member discouraging BT users to go learn on another flavor of linux before messing with BT. Learning is learning. It doesn't really matter where you learn it. I would also venture to say that these very people who hold the knowledge were helped along by someone in the beginning, otherwise they wouldn't be in the position they're in now. Save the handfed argument because everyone was handfed at some point in this game.
    The problem is that BT is an advanced distro, for advanced and specialized users. The BT forum isn't for learning Linux basics, nor should it be. There are thousands of sites out there that will teach someone the basics, and spoonfeed a beginner everything from how to first boot a PC with Linux, right up to how to compile source code. All a beginner has to do is search the web on terms like "beginner" and "Linux". In fact, using those two word in Google give 3,490,000 hits, with the top 10 sites being places like:

Linux.ie :: The Beginners Linux Guide

Linux Online - Getting Started with Linux: Table of Contents

Beginners: Learn Linux

www.reallylinux.com - Website for Linux Beginners *****

Frankly, spoonfeeding beginners is one of the fastest ways to chase senior members someplace else, where they can stick to advanced topics (and they don't have to teach the basics over and over again.) I've seen it happen on several other sites.

So save the "everyone was a beginner once" argument. There are plenty of places where beginners are welcome without the BT senior members having to reinvent the wheel.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

I agree with Thorn, there are plenty of other places for complete beginners, this is a place for people who have the Linux skills sorted and who want to start to learn about Pen Testing techniques using BackTrack.

We have heard this "everyone was a beginner once" argument too many times here now, and while it is actually true it doesn't take into account that learning has to be broken into different stages, which each "higher" stage having the lower stages as a prerequisite. So in the same way that you wouldn't expect to attend University without first attending High School, you shouldn't expect to come here without first learning basic Linux skills. They dont want to teach you basic reading, writing and arithmetic at University, and we don't want to teach basic Linux here, we would rather concentrate on the more difficult and interesting things.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

I would also venture to say that these very people who hold the knowledge were helped along by someone in the beginning, otherwise they wouldn't be in the position they're in now. Save the handfed argument because everyone was handfed at some point in this game.
    Besides what the others have stated which is true, let me also add that in the earlier days of the internet there were not thousands of sites with videos tutorials with and pictures to guide people. Effectively time was money on the internet or more costly then it is today, not to mention slower. As such one might be expected to wait 2-3 days for an answer. During which time those seeking answers continued to learn, & troubleshoot etc. their problems.
    But alas with the betterment of the technology, today's youth expect a twitter size answer the instant their post appears on the forums, and it generally does not happen here. I like many others find that to be just fine.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.