Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: USB BackTrack 4 with Changes

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Generally vmware is a bit faster to start up then an actual boot up.
    Agreed, if it were just startup and shutdown, I wouldn't be concerned. As dizzy said though, it's a constant while running the OS, even just using firefox and terminal (or try doing something while apt-get is installing something, got a total lockup doing that last night.) I was thinking it was my flash drive, but if someone else is getting it, has to be something in the config, right?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slagg View Post
    Agreed, if it were just startup and shutdown, I wouldn't be concerned. As dizzy said though, it's a constant while running the OS, even just using firefox and terminal (or try doing something while apt-get is installing something, got a total lockup doing that last night.) I was thinking it was my flash drive, but if someone else is getting it, has to be something in the config, right?
    Well I am running bt4 on a dual core turion64 and a P4 3ghz proc and I haven't seen any problems. If it was windows I would blame it on windows.
    Did you d/l it from an official source, and check the md5, sha1 sums?
    This is the only thing I can think of right now.
    maybe someone else can help.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

I think I may have fixed my problem. I think it had something to do with how I formatted my drive the first time using fdisk.

I went back into a VMware running the iso, used qtparted instead, and reformatted. Used netbootin, followed the instructions for persistent changes, and I'm testing as we speak.

Still not sure where I went wrong though...

Just burned his ISO

Okay, so after formatting this thing multiple times this morning, here's the conclusion I've come to so far.

I now have the drive formatted with two separate FAT32 partitions. It's not hanging or stalling like it was before... Now I don't know crap about what it is, but I noticed that it would always start when POSIX? would load on startup, and now with two FAT32 partitions, it says POSIX isn't compatible and loads another similar module instead?

That could just be a coincidence, and I tried looking for a boot parameter to try forcing it before reformatting this current way, but no luck. Thoughts?

Just burned his ISO

I have some questions on editing "syslinux.cfg".

1. The are 2 syslinux.cfg files, one on the main directory and one in /boot/syslinux directory. Which one do I edit?

2. There are 3 lines starting with bt4, which line do I edit? If some one could post what syslinux.cfg should look like after editing it will be very helpful.

THanks.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mklo1 View Post
    I have some questions on editing "syslinux.cfg".
    1. The are 2 syslinux.cfg files, one on the main directory and one in /boot/syslinux directory. Which one do I edit?

Generally /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg is the one you want.

2. There are 3 lines starting with bt4, which line do I edit? If some one could post what syslinux.cfg should look like after editing it will be very helpful.
    THanks.
    What are you trying to do exactly?
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Default How to: USB BackTrack 4 with Changes

I am able to save the changes in /dev/sdb2 but not in the first partition

i.e. where all the system files are stored.

If I make any changes to a config file, those changes are not reflected on next boot up time, they return to default values.

I am to create file in /root; but same is not reflected when BT4 is boot next time

HELP required

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    No problem Kriggins just want to make sure that credit is given where it is due.
    Kriggins, excellent tutorial! I'm bare-butt new and had only minor problems getting the necessary changes done.

Default shutdown issues

Works a treat thanks!
    I feel sorry for them - those who take authority as the truth and not truth as the authority -- Zeitgeist

Just burned his ISO

Install works great, just as described.

Now, i stupid question i'm asking myself is: Is there a way, from time to time to "merge" the changes in the "original ISO/partition" ?

Thanks should anyone has any ideas about how to do this (as i guess that's how the guys developping the ISO are doing".

Thanks

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast