Thread: A little guidance

Just burned his ISO

Default A little guidance

Hi, im fairly new at this forum, but would like some advice from senior members and people with more experience. Ive been gathering some info on certifications (I am currently finishing my CCNA ceritification, mostly because I read its a good IP knowledge base to then move forward to complicated matters) and the one that attracted me the most was CEH "Certified ethical hacker". I was wondering if anyone has taken that course, or if there are better outhere. I am very interested in pentesting, and try to learn as much as i can from this forum, and others, I have the impression that most of the stuff experts learn are not from courses but from forums like this, but these courses train your mind to work in a certain way. I am an electronic engineer, I and the 7 calculus classes I took were worth butt spew when it came to actual field work, so please your opinions are welcome and ty in advance

Start by doing a search for "certification" or "training" there are lots of threads on this topic.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

The January '09 edition of the magazine Hakin9 has written up a couple of pages on offensive security courses, I suggest you buy that magazine

Directly you can talk to offensive-security IRC channel and can clear the doubts by talking to course developers.you will be glad to talk to them and to clear any doubt regarding this course and indeed its one of best pen-testing security cert having hands-on real time lab.

Offsec 101 is the best one out there hands down.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

I don't know where the OP is based buy have a look BlackHat 2009:

April 14-17
    Pentesting with BackTrack4
    Offensive Security

Overview

This is an intensive, hardcore, hands on Security class by the creators of Backtrack, especially designed for delivery in BlackHat Trainings. The course is an interesting amalgamation of our entry level course ("Offensive Security 101") with several updated modules.

A seasoned team of Security Professionals will help you take your skills a few steps further. "Common" hacking techniques are revisited from a professional and practical approach for a better and more efficient pentest. Several topics include "hardcore drilldowns" such as writing your own buffer overflows, advanced information gathering techniques, client side attacks, and much more - all based on the award winning live Distribution Backtrack 4.

The course is heavily laced with the "do it yourself" approach, and will expose you to the raw underlying mechanisms of the various attack vectors. In addition, commercial penetration testing software such as Core Impact and Saint Exploit will be explored in a controlled lab environment. Complimentary demos will be handed out to students.
    EU Link:
    http://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-euro...09-bt4-os.html

Edit:
    DC, USA Link:
    https://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-dc-...-09-index.html

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Offsec 101 is the best one out there hands down.