Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Access blocked for a website

Default Access blocked for a website

Hey guys,

got a question for you since I am drawing a blank at the moment.

A friend of mine can't access a website anymore. I can access it, her friends can, just she can't.
    Is there a way to block just a single machine/IP (nonstatic)?
    If I do a traceroute on her machine it just stops one step before reaching the webserver.

I haven't heard of blocking a single mac-address since if I am not totally confusing something the mac of my router will just go to the router of my isp and the isp's mac to the next hop and so on.

Does anyone of you have an idea?

Thanks in advance.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

It depends, whats the website? Did she do something to piss of the Web server admin?
    QUOTE=cybrsnpr;118082]I think you have the right idea, but I also think you are really trying to kill a gnat with a small nuclear device!

Kind of I guess. Just a stupid forum for a WoW guild. I wouldn't bother at all but she is a good friend of mine, so I said I'd have a look. Now I am just curious how that would work. I know that you can block an IP address. And I am not sure how you can block the access for a single IP all the time even though it is dynamic. A friend who is with the same ISP has no problems. If I go through an anonymizer on her machine it is working too.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Well SecondLife I heard has the ability for PCI MAC Banning? Maybe they did the same thing. bring over your laptop plug in and try it, bring your router too and try swaping that out. Then youll eliminate any IP or MAC banning.
    QUOTE=cybrsnpr;118082]I think you have the right idea, but I also think you are really trying to kill a gnat with a small nuclear device!

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Sounds like packet filtering to me.

Try changing the MAC address on her computer. It should work.

Shouldn't since it goes through the router or?

She tried her laptop already so that should be the issue that changing the mac on the machine won't help
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Is she using NAT? It could be the MAC of the router that is actually blacklisted. Easiest way to check this would be to just remove the router from the equation and give her a direct connection to the modem.

It could also be that a security setting on her computer is blocking the website.

Not possible since it is an all in one thing.

That's what I assume too. But is that possible at all? And if yes, how would one do it?
    Just interested in how that stuff works.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Heres a link how to filter MAC addresses in iptables.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/iptabl...filtering.html

Its hard to say exactly how the website has approached this since we don't know how thier network is structured.

So say, for my understanding, the admins decide to ban me, they could filter my ip address.
    I thought that the macadress of my "interface" to the internet (the router in this case) won't really show up at the webserver if it goes through multiple hops. Did I get that wrong there?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast