Thread: X not working

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default X not working

The X Window manager isn't working on my desktop. Everything does fine, I log in and then I type startx (or bt4-crystal) and I jut get a blank white screen (same thing happens, when I use Ubuntu live CD, but there I can boot into Safe Graphics Mode, and it's fine... how do I do that in BT?). I tried generating a new xorg.conf file with X -configure but I get the same thing. Here's my Desktops hardware:

Code:
    Motherboard: Asus P5QC
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    Graphics Card: Diamond ATI Readon 4870 1GB
    RAM: 6GB DDR2
    Monitor: LG Flatron W2252TQ
    (I think, this is all that matter for this, no need to post the rest)

Try dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to generate a xorg.conf, then edit the file and put vesa as the driver under Section "Device", now try to start X again.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by emily View Post
    Try dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to generate a xorg.conf, then edit the file and put vesa as the driver under Section "Device", now try to start X again.
    Thank you so much! Work fine now

Quick question: If I do an HD install and install my ATI drivers, what should I put in xorg.conf for driver?

Good friend of the forums

generally, if your ATI driver is good, it will edit your xorg.conf for you. Otherwise, there will be instructions for your specific card all over the Internet, just search for them

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by emily View Post
    Can you paste an example of where to put vesa in under the driver section?

Thanks!