Thread: CD version

Just burned his ISO

Default CD version

I don't know how many people feel this way, but I'll just throw it out there. Seeing as bt4 has moved to DVD, I think maintaining a cut down CD version of backtrack would be quite useful, in an effort to keep it working on as many machines as possible (think older computers with no dvd drive or boot from usb feature). I don't know if this would be enough, but I think cutting out all the KDE related stuff and compiz in favor of fluxbox would go a long way. How does everyone else feel about this?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

What about taking what you want out and remastering the iso?
    I understand where you are coming from though.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by jgor_ View Post
    I don't know how many people feel this way, but I'll just throw it out there. Seeing as bt4 has moved to DVD, I think maintaining a cut down CD version of backtrack would be quite useful, in an effort to keep it working on as many machines as possible (think older computers with no dvd drive or boot from usb feature). I don't know if this would be enough, but I think cutting out all the KDE related stuff and compiz in favor of fluxbox would go a long way. How does everyone else feel about this?
    that is why there is Network Boot/PXE boot to overcome this.

Default BT4bete Boot using PXE

A well edited post about PXE booting can be found here:

hxxp://forum.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=20136

It references a blog post about setting up the httpfs server:

hxxp://backtrack4.blogspot.com/2009/01/booting-backtrack-over-network.html

Check it out...

Quote Originally Posted by secure_it View Post
    that is why there is Network Boot/PXE boot to overcome this.
    Exactly. I ran into the same problem you had (old laptop with CD drive). The network boot actually provided to be faster and easier than the regular old CD boot.

of course there's always a way to create a boot disk which loads, and then gets it's files off a USB key, even for BIOSes that do not support USB booting.

Quote Originally Posted by Citruspers View Post
    Exactly. I ran into the same problem you had (old laptop with CD drive). The network boot actually provided to be faster and easier than the regular old CD boot.

of course there's always a way to create a boot disk which loads, and then gets it's files off a USB key, even for BIOSes that do not support USB booting.
    I was refering to OP's post as he was talking about legacy system issues where PXE boot is only option like diskless terminals.I am running B|T beta on my laptop along with compiz easily & I don't have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by secure_it View Post
    I was refering to OP's post as he was talking about legacy system issues where PXE boot is only option like diskless terminals.I am running B|T beta on my laptop along with compiz easily & I don't have that problem.
    I was also referring to the OP, but I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. I'm 17 and english is not my native language, but I do my best.

I hope I'm showing you too that not ALL 17 year olds want to break their neighbours router, I'm here to learn. Probably going for a Security Technology education after high school.
    Just felt like I had to include that, I don't want to get shot down on these forums, I know how many problems you have with people with malicious intent.

Good friend of the forums

whenever there is no option to boot from DVD, there is an option to boot from the network, from USB, or you could remaster the iso (remove about 100 megs) to suit your needs. I personally believe the current 850 megs + vm image are more than enough as a choice, from there on - it's up to your needs what you will do with them.