Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: startx does not start KDE

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Thanks for sharing that with people who do not know. But just give them some pointers into the right direction and let them do some research themself, helps to learn

Which is what I try to do. But some times people don't even know how to start. If we share troubleshooting methodologies, hopefully more people will be able to come to the table with solutions that they've resolved themselves, and not just the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by armedpilot View Post
    Which is what I try to do. But some times people don't even know how to start. If we share troubleshooting methodologies, hopefully more people will be able to come to the table with solutions that they've resolved themselves, and not just the problem.
    I know, but well experience shows, that it is most likely not the case. I also offer to help. To help people learn and give them pointers in the right direction. But guess what, I never heard of anyone on here I made the offer to. Being spoonfed is conveniant and having to learn and invest time is just a slow progress. But either one does it right or should leave it be.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Thanks Armedpilot. That was instructive and helpful.

Just burned his ISO

Hi,

i got the same problem,
    HDD installation of bt4beta
    was using kde and everything was fine untill i try crystal.

there is nothing in the home dir...tried ls -a
    the default-display-manager file doesnt exist...

what has to be done to fix this...?

thx

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by benzebut View Post
    Hi,

i got the same problem,
    HDD installation of bt4beta
    was using kde and everything was fine untill i try crystal.

there is nothing in the home dir...tried ls -a
    the default-display-manager file doesnt exist...

what has to be done to fix this...?

thx
    me too, same situation, after I run crystal could not run anymore kde, since
    it was my first 5 minutes with it I reinstalled backtrack now I see others
    had the same problem

Developer

Its a small bug. Just rm .xinitrc after you run bt4-crystal and kde will start fine

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    It is not harsh. Either people want to get help on how to get going. And that is the way to go. Do it right or don't do it.
    Where is the point to point a tool at a machine and pull the trigger?
    There is nothing to it, even my grandma could do that.
    We are here to learn and to give useful advice. And even if it may sound hard, one have to start at the beginning, not with the shiny tools.

The problem is, a lot of people start to get in touch and use BT because it is a l33t hax0r distro. But they don't even know how to configure the X server correctly or desperatly ask how they can install BT to the harddrive. And if the only tools people are capable of using are tools with a nice and shiny gui like SpoonWEP, they should start somewhere else because that's not what BT has been made for nor will it help anyone at all.

Edit: And no, I am not making fun of anyone who is just beginning. The advice I am giving is meant serious, not as an insult or as making fun of someone. And I am also willing to assist people when they start to learn and are overwhelmed with all the stuff. But they have to have the will to really learn and not expect to start with the "fun" stuff.
    im a linux n00b, and that is EXACTLY my thought on it too. I would love to be able to use bt3, but i know im outta my league. but its a goal to shoot for.

im here to learn. thanks for not flaming "me".

incidentally, im here to figure out why i cant get a gui on my usb. xstart just fails out. but ill keep reading til i figure it out. its how i learn, one mistake at a time.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daemoch View Post
    im a linux n00b, and that is EXACTLY my thought on it too. I would love to be able to use bt3, but i know im outta my league. but its a goal to shoot for.

im here to learn. thanks for not flaming "me".

incidentally, im here to figure out why i cant get a gui on my usb. xstart just fails out. but ill keep reading til i figure it out. its how i learn, one mistake at a time.
    It should be "startx" not sure if what you have is only a typo or what.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by xorred View Post
    there is a .xinitrc file in your home folder. Delete it. Startx
    This fixed it for me.

Thank you

Thanks alot fixed for me 2 : )
    How you spend your time is more important than how you spend your money. Money mistakes can be corrected, but time is gone forever. David Norris

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123