Thread: USB wont become bootable

Just burned his ISO

Default USB wont become bootable

Working with Inspiron 530 and Presario 1200
    WinXP sp2
    I have a hash correct copy of the Backtrack USB, and read the directions on the how to website, but when I run the BAT, I dont see any changes made to the USB drive.

I have admin, and have all system and hidden files shown.
    I think it is odd that when I run the bat it says to read the above information, but there is no above information, apart from the warning about overwriting your MBR, but it confirms to make E: bootable, which is what I want.

And the USB drive will not boot. The Inspiron 530 supports USB boot.

is the drive fat?

is your bios set to boot from removable media, or usb?
    check your bios before you boot sometimes it changes. I switched the removable bit so my usb stick appears as a hard disk to my bios, and thus it wont boot when bios is set to boot from remobable, only when set to boot from a hard drive, and that hard drive has to be before my "actual" hard drive.

Does this sound confusing? it took me a few tries to get it right.

Your bios could be different

I "assume" the .BAT file makes the partition active, but i could be wrong

Just burned his ISO

My drive is Fat32.
    When My computer checks boot devices it gives me a list of possible choices, one of which is the USB device. So, again bios supports USB boot.

"I switched the removable bit"

OK supposing I am wrong about the BIOS supporting USB boot, I can make the USB look like a regular hard drive, --What do you mean by switching the removable bit?--- is it the -f flag mentioned in the Howto?
    I tried that before posting...

Just burned his ISO

are you just trying to get bt3 to boot from a usb jump drive? If so what kind of jump drive are you using?

Just burned his ISO

PNY Attache 4G drive.
    Started blank, formatted Fat32, unzipped Md5 correct file to the Drive.
    Started the BAT to makeboot and nothing observable happened when I used the BAT.

Yes I am just trying to boot from USB.

Just burned his ISO

ok what you can do is download Unetbootin(search on google really easy to find). Theres versions for windows or linux. I take it your current system is windows. Put the jump drive in do a quick format. Then bring up unetbootin, point it where the iso is of Bt3 so it can find it on your computer to extract) then check the drive letter of your jump drive (very important make sure you select the drive letter of the jump drive!) it will make the usb drive bootable and put the required files on your jump drive, and extract all the bt3 files for you. Now when you reboot im not sure what BIOS you have but you need to make the jump drive number one under 1st boot there maybe 2 sections where you have to do this.(depends on bios). That should def do the trick. I know some of the cruzer and sandisk jump drives have to be wiped of the installed software that came with it for it to work. Trust me i found out the hard way Check to make sure your jump drive doesnt have preinstalled software on it! Let me know how it goes!

I have had this problem before. In your boot priority, you want it to be something like floppy->cd->hard drive. Then, find hard drive boot priority and make it something like USB -> Actual harddrive. Note that your USB has to be plugged in when you turn your PC on for it to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by xxXen0xx View Post
    Working with Inspiron 530 and Presario 1200
    WinXP sp2
    I have a hash correct copy of the Backtrack USB, and read the directions on the how to website, but when I run the BAT, I dont see any changes made to the USB drive.

I have admin, and have all system and hidden files shown.
    I think it is odd that when I run the bat it says to read the above information, but there is no above information, apart from the warning about overwriting your MBR, but it confirms to make E: bootable, which is what I want.

And the USB drive will not boot. The Inspiron 530 supports USB boot.
    Maybe just go with an easier to use distro first to get known to Linux. You won't have any fun with using BT without any knowledge of it.You will hit more walls than you will be able to count. If you need further help, just let me know, I'll gladly help you out.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

@ezentry- I understand how to work software, but thanks for pointing out Unetbootin.

@ all- thanks for the help, but this was not the whole solution.
    With some magic I got to the command line on my Inspiron 530.
    I also solved most peoples problem with "boot error"
    Now the real struggle begins: get Presario 1200 USB booting and learn the fundamental SLAX command line structure.