Thread: bt4 disc label

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default bt4 disc label

Just being pedantic, but perhaps we should take off the "compact disc" logo from the bt4 label, seeing as it's now released as a dvd iso?

Original: remote-exploit.org(slash)images(slash)bt4-label.png
    Updated: indiecom.org(slash)misc(slash)bt4-label.png

sorry about the links. low post count and such...

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by jgor_ View Post
    Just being pedantic, but perhaps we should take off the "compact disc" logo from the bt4 label, seeing as it's now released as a dvd iso?

Original: remote-exploit.org(slash)images(slash)bt4-label.png
    Updated: jgor.org(slash)misc(slash)bt4-label.png

sorry about the links. low post count and such...
    To continue the pedantic madness. DVD is not correct either, as DVD == Digital Video Disk, it just happens to be a disk that is capable of storing much more data than a regular CD.

I'd think that CD in this case would still be correct, as it technically does not contain Digital Video.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    To continue the pedantic madness. DVD is not correct either, as DVD == Digital Video Disk, it just happens to be a disk that is capable of storing much more data than a regular CD.

I'd think that CD in this case would still be correct, as it technically does not contain Digital Video.
    I thought its Digital Versatile Disk.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by secure_it View Post
    I thought its Digital Versatile Disk.
    I believe both are correct, I didn't see that one on the acronym list originally.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Good evening.Because of the length of movies and moreover uses in movies & songs that thing became more like Digital Video Disk as you told.

Personally, I've heard a lot of different expressions for CD's, but I believe that the acronym CD is still the most appropriate as it is widely used plus it's easily spoken too. My native language isn't english and we've got a native word for a CD or a DVD, but barely anyone ever uses them (the radio is an exception).
    I have the card in me head, but you have the memory problems?

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I believe both are correct, I didn't see that one on the acronym list originally.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

For the people allergic to wikipedia,

Etymology

"DVD" was originally used as an initialism for the unofficial term "digital videodisk".[6] It was reported in 1995, at the time of the specification finalization, that the letters officially stood for "digital versatile disc" (due to non-video applications).[7] However, the text of the press release announcing the specification finalization only refers to the technology as "DVD", making no mention of what (if anything) the letters stood for.[5] A newsgroup FAQ written by Jim Taylor (a prominent figure in the industry) claims that four years later, in 1999, the DVD Forum stated that the format name was simply the three letters "DVD" and did not stand for anything.[8]

The official DVD specification documents have never defined DVD. Usage in the present day varies, with "DVD", "Digital Video Disc", and "Digital Versatile Disc" being the most common.

The DVD Forum website has a section called "DVD Primer" in which the answer to the question, "What does DVD mean?" reads, "The keyword is 'versatile.' Digital Versatile Discs provide superb video, audio and data storage and access – all on one disc."[9]
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Regardless of what constitutes a CD or a DVD...i'm looking at a 52x regular cdrom drive on one of my computers right now with that exact same "compact disc" logo, yet the bt4-beta.iso in its current form will not work in said drive for obvious reasons. To be fair I would assume the intended audience for backtrack knows the difference...but my request stands that the "compact disc" logo shouldn't be included because it's misleading.